Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

As stated above - it is practice - slow and fully aware. A large part of dance training is learning to tone down your reflexes on demand - such as tensing groups of muscles rather than isolated ones.

If at first you need to also use your thighs to get the movement - fine. Then work on doing it without. At first you might do a much smaller movement. With this you build up strength and control - a bit like learning to do situps with your abs instead of hip flexors. And teh longer you have been doing it wrong, the longer it takes to correct.

Post Thanks / Like

okay, thanx so much.

I didn't even know that you could do sit ups with your hips. anyways. that makes a lot of sense. I'll just keep at it. thanx so much.

Post Thanks / Like

My problem with Suhaila's method isn't the jumping booty---I can do that easily standing up. The problem is I can't do the splits. No way, no how, not happening. -_- I'm not even sure I could EVER work up to doing the splits at my age, anyway. I wish I could, but I don't think I'll ever be that flexible. *glares at her Suhaila DVD's*

Post Thanks / Like

I could do it once, but it would not be good for my matronly dignity these days to try. And I can think of few movements that are less relevant to the belly dance styles I like. Or does being able to do it make you able to hone some other muscle to perfection?

Ranya Renee ties people's knees together with bits of lycra as a reminder to keep 'em close, and that's good enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I only have fitness buns dvds of suhailas so haven't seen her do the splits. don't think I'll ever be able to do them.

I'm still working on the jumping bu muscles lol. its hard. much easier for me to do with my legs closed on my stomach or back lol

but I can feel them get stronger. am working on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I can still do the splits (though not nearly as comfortably as in the past) and I can do the glute thing, but I have, alas, completely lost my ability to do smooth undulation with my stomach and abdominal muscles. One too many surgical insults, I fear. Sigh. I also don't practice as much as I used to, though that has got to change starting today.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ahava_Melantha View Post
    I only have fitness buns dvds of suhailas so haven't seen her do the splits. don't think I'll ever be able to do them.

I'm still working on the jumping bu muscles lol. its hard. much easier for me to do with my legs closed on my stomach or back lol

but I can feel them get stronger. am working on it.
    I'm no sure which of Suhaila's DVD's you have, but the exercise you describe is done by doing the splits horizontally, leaning forward, THEN making the glutes jump. I can't do the splits, let alone lean forward while in that position. At my age, I'm not so sure it would be a good thing to try to learn how to do the splits, and like others here, I'm not sure if it's beneficial to the style I'm learning.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean now. I can do them lying down, but strengthening the booty is good regardless. but I do know what you mean. I think its more conducive to my style when you practise tightening your butt standing up for like hip ups and hip downs type of a thing

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been able to do the splits and I am defiantly not going to learn them now. Same with any floor work, I cannot stay on my knees long enough.

However, the glute thing does look good when you incorporate when doing other dance steps.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I can do the booty jump exercise standing up, and practice it regularly. At my age, gravity does some bad things to the booty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast