suhaila's buns fitness dvd

Ahava_Melantha

okay, I got it and I have done it only once.

how in the world do I "pulse" my booty like that? the only time I can do it is lying on my stomach. when I tried it I felt like I was using more leg that booty and I didn't feel them individually lift at all.

any ideas ladies.

really frustrating. seems like my booty muscles are so out of touch or something.

I would DEEPLY appreciate some help with this one.

thanx.

Kashmir

A few years after starting belly dance , I had a chance to have a full body assessment by a physio. One (of the many) areas that needed work was my glutes. Didn't use them - I tend to use my thighs for moving my legs - and I had no control over them. The trick they taught me was to use a pencil and poke the middle of the muscle. Initially I had to be lying prone to do it; later I worked up to standing and eventually didn't need teh pencil at all :D

Birdlight

If your glutes aren't firing, you might want to consider strengthening them beore starting Suhaila- sounds contradictory but it helps if you have some bum strength before you try and isolate those muscles.

You will actually die laughing at this video, but it's really helped me. Just try not to let the tight lycra distract you:lol: (Edit- he syas there is a 'warm up' but I'd suggest warming up before the warm up)

Last edited:

Crazy Cat Lady

We do this in class sitting up on the floor legs spread apart. If you have problems isolating bend foward a bit. It takes about 6 months to a year before you can really see it. Concentrate more on the feeling of the squeeze. The muscles will eventually catch up.

bomu samba

We do them in class the same way Crazy Cat Lady does, but we're also advised to do other glute strengthening exercises at home. And pressing the muscle with a finger really helps me to figure out what I'm supposed to be moving!
It took ages for me to feel like anything was happening at all but my glutes are getting stronger now I'm practising regularly.

Ahava_Melantha

yes if i touch my butt, it barely moves. okay.

how often do you think I should do this? 2x a week good enough? her stuff is sooo hard. and she smiles while kicking my butt lol

bomu samba

I practise three or for times a week. I think I might need to do more on my left glute, though. It's really weak compared to my right one:lol:

And I know what you mean about her smiling while she makes us work. I took a workshop with her and she seemed so happy and smiley while she made us add another layer to each move we drilled!

Crazy Cat Lady

Yes a couple times a week would be fine. I find if I do too much I get sore hips from my glutes being too tight. . Also there are three major muscle groups in your tookis. Over time it will start to move upward to the other larger muscle groups.

Ahava_Melantha

okay, I did it again. oh boy. I think 2x a week will be fine, and in between that 8 min burner. NOT good together like I did tonight. less is better I think< i can have better form lol. I SOOOO need to work on my booty. well I need to work on everywhere. I am most definitely at the lower levels lol

Kashmir

how often do you think I should do this? 2x a week good enough? her stuff is sooo hard. and she smiles while kicking my butt lol
It depends what you want to achieve. If you want to dance in her style then probably every second day.

However, 99.9% of belly dancers do not dance in this style. All this butt stuff is specific to her style. "Normal" belly dancers will engage a glute to stabilize a move or to do the front of a big hip circles but little else. What I fight with my students with is to get them to relax their glutes when shimmying!

Last edited:

Ahava_Melantha

I have only seen one of her videos and am not a TOTAL fan of her dance style but I like the drillz, and it made me realize who much I underutilze my "bunz" lol

but I have to admit I'm still a fan of knee or thigh driven shimmies, not so much butt shimmies. just not my style.

Greek Bonfire

We do this in class sitting up on the floor legs spread apart. If you have problems isolating bend foward a bit. It takes about 6 months to a year before you can really see it. Concentrate more on the feeling of the squeeze. The muscles will eventually catch up.

So far, this is the only way I can do it. I hope that means I'm making progress.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I worked on this for about 8 months before I actually saw any movement (butt jumping). Many times you will be working muscles, but those muscles aren't strong enough just yet for that work to transfer in visible motion.

Just be sure you aren't using your thighs -- feel them and make sure they're relaxed. Transferring the workload to the thighs is one of the first things people do when they have weak glutes.

As for whether or not you like Suhaila's style -- it really doesn't matter. Strong glutes are good for the body, AND I felt like my butt was going to fall off working on sharp starts and stops and accents with Tito, so building your glutes is good for all styles :)

Ahava_Melantha

okay, thanx. does anyone have any advice on how to make sure you're not using your thighs at all. the ONLY way I can do this and NOT feel something, at least a tiny bit in my thighs, is laying on my back or my stomach with my legs closed.

seriously.

and thanx for the advice ladies.

Aniseteph

I don't know if they are the right muscles and don't much care as Suhaila style seems to me to be quite scary ;), but anyhoo, I did learn to find and get control of muscles quite high up behind and definitely not the back of thighs. I did it by practising clenching one side then the other while waiting for buses or otherwise standing about. At first everything joined in, even the other side, but slowly I got more strength and control and could stop the thighs and back of legs joining in. IIRC doing it on a weighted leg was easier.

It's similar to my journey into being able to isolate upper and lower abdominal muscles. My body/ brain prefers to fling itself into it on a voyage of discovery then refine as we get the gist, rather than focus on just getting the isolated movement and having nothing happen. :(