Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Definitely not a 3/4 shimmy. It's to even.
    I know it more looks like a Egyptian shimmy, but it does have that swinging right and left feeling which feels like a 3/4. I am confused

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Gee, I'm beginning to think what I'm thinking of isn't what other people are thinking of. What I'm thinking of is sort of a sideways Hagala that steps across the front while the other foot steps sideways, layered with a shimmy. In other words, I'm thinking of a move we do in one of our routines that my teacher learned at a workshop by Angelika Nemoth. You roll your hip in a half-circle (in our case, on the left side) and sort of grapevine with the left foot in front to the right, then step out right with your right foot, and repeat across to the right, while shimmying the whole time. Here is the video I was going to post that shows this move (although I'm not sure if you can really see it, the vid quality is dark, unfortunately). It starts at about 4:25, towards the end:

I guess this isn't the step we're talking about here? While we're at it, what is it called? We really don't have a name for it.

Oh, and no, I'm not in this video. I still don't have this one down yet to where I'm confident enough to do it by myself.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 09-13-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: to explain that I'm not in the video

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBee View Post
    it does have that swinging right and left feeling which feels like a 3/4. I am confused
    I'm confused too - because "swinging right and left feeling" has no connection in my mind with a 3/4 shimmy. My default 3/4 is down/up/down/pause - no left or right movement (although I know some people do a up/out/down/pause). The two indicators of a 3/4 is the same movement on both legs - ie in mine the hip goes down on the step on both sides - and the pause. Which gives it the uneven, hiccuppy feeling - chukka chuck.

Post Thanks / Like

Farasha, I learnt that step as a Samiha. To me Samihas and Battas are variations of the same concept. Samiha (to me) is a cross-step with a tush-push alt hip push, and with or without a shimmy on the up or down. Loads of variations
    A Batta as I understand it is fairly the same move but without the cross-step. Just stepping to the side, with a tush- or hip-push and with or without a shimmy on the up or down. So many possibilities!

Back to the original thread question.

Yes, I know that move as a "Suheir Zaki". Sometimes in English it's called a "chonk", I think. I haven't tried to layer a shimmy over it though. In the video of her in the yellow costume, I am debating over whether the shimmy is just a reverb from the powerful chonk or an actual shimmy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Gisela! I need to write that word down so I can remember it. In the meantime, I need to review the original video to try to get in mind what a Suheir Zaki is...

*sigh* so many moves, so little brain memory...ack!

EDIT: ???? I don't see any 3/4 shimmy! It just looks like she's doing hip drops while moving in a circle in place, and I don't see any shimmy.

I forgot what the original question was, I'm so confused.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 09-13-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Thank you, Gisela! I need to write that word down so I can remember it. In the meantime, I need to review the original video to try to get in mind what a Suheir Zaki is...

*sigh* so many moves, so little brain memory...ack!

EDIT: ???? I don't see any 3/4 shimmy! It just looks like she's doing hip drops while moving in a circle in place, and I don't see any shimmy.

I forgot what the original question was, I'm so confused.
    Maybe the one I posted is not obviouse, but she has some videos doing that move with shimmy. I will post it later

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Farasha, I learnt that step as a Samiha. To me Samihas and Battas are variations of the same concept. Samiha (to me) is a cross-step with a tush-push alt hip push, and with or without a shimmy on the up or down. Loads of variations
    A Batta as I understand it is fairly the same move but without the cross-step. Just stepping to the side, with a tush- or hip-push and with or without a shimmy on the up or down. So many possibilities!

Back to the original thread question.

Yes, I know that move as a "Suheir Zaki". Sometimes in English it's called a "chonk", I think. I haven't tried to layer a shimmy over it though. In the video of her in the yellow costume, I am debating over whether the shimmy is just a reverb from the powerful chonk or an actual shimmy.

Good to know that there is another name for this move.

Post Thanks / Like

at 4:54 she is doing the move with shimmy, I have no problem with this move, just the layering shimmy part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBee View Post
    at 4:54 she is doing the move with shimmy, I have no problem with this move, just the layering shimmy part.
    If you "have no problem" with the chonk you'll be using your obliques - you then have the choice of layering with legs or obliques. I think she uses the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, I don't see what you're referring to with the layering. In every clip you've posted, it seems to me she starts out with hip drops on the down accent, and then a smooth transition into a 3/4 shimmy on the down. It's just double the amount of drops on each side, but in 3/4 timing, basically.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast