Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Maria View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't see what you're referring to with the layering. In every clip you've posted, it seems to me she starts out with hip drops on the down accent, and then a smooth transition into a 3/4 shimmy on the down. It's just double the amount of drops on each side, but in 3/4 timing, basically.
    Hi Sophia:
    How do you exactly do it? Do you have any video clips?

Post Thanks / Like

How to do a 3/4 shimmy? An easy way to think about it is a quick right-left-right, left-right-left, right-left-right, left-right-left. You start slow but then with practice make it faster and more relaxed. That's why it almost looks like two hits on one side. But it isn't really hits, it's a little more relaxed, because it's a shimmy. I hope this answers your question?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Maria View Post
    How to do a 3/4 shimmy? An easy way to think about it is a quick right-left-right, left-right-left, right-left-right, left-right-left. You start slow but then with practice make it faster and more relaxed. That's why it almost looks like two hits on one side. But it isn't really hits, it's a little more relaxed, because it's a shimmy. I hope this answers your question?
    Thanks Sophia, is there a difference when you say it's a 3/4 shimmy with down?
    My original question is I am not sure if the dancer is doing the zaki walk with regular shimmy or 3/4 shimmy, then some of the reply suggested it's not a 3/4 shimmy.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a video of a 3/4 shimmy down.

You'll have to compare it with your videos and see if you think it's similar enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBee View Post
    Thanks Sophia, is there a difference when you say it's a 3/4 shimmy with down?
    My original question is I am not sure if the dancer is doing the zaki walk with regular shimmy or 3/4 shimmy, then some of the reply suggested it's not a 3/4 shimmy.
    A 3/4 down goes down/up/down/pause - the down (and up) is a strict vertical down (no sideways movement) using the obliques etc - which you need to be able to do to do a chonk correctly any way.

Post Thanks / Like

I've re-examined all the clips that the OP said had teh move - and I agree with someone up topic. There isn't a shmmy. There are just Chonks with reverb. The "shimmy" effect is achieved by relaxing the butt and legs. This can be done because the abs are doing the driving. The impact as the leg (driven by the abs) hits the floor causes the hip and legs to shake a little - but no shimmy as such.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Afrit, but I have always called those reverb shimmies, simply another type of shimmy.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

I agree it's not a 3/4 shimmy but would the reverb effect explain why in the video between 1:52-2:00 it almost looks the same as Suheir videos?

Post Thanks / Like

Suheir Zaki is doing Suheir Zaki-step.
    Also sometimes she adds there normal shimmy. (Nothing to do with 3/4 shimmy technique.) Those just feel very different movement, the whole dynamics of the movement are different.

Edited to add:
    I did look all the clips again. Sometimes she is doing Suheir Zaki-step with out shimmy and some times with. They just look a little bit different (no shimmy at all, relaxed "after shimmy", active shimmy).

www.outiofcairo.com
    Last edited by Outi; 09-23-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123