Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there

Because of my travelings, when I have to cancel a class, I try to fit the hour's of the class on the previous or the next weekend. So in the month they have 8 hours lesson in any case

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing, so at the end....they always have their 8 classes per month..
    I also have one more option if it turns out impossible to do the extra hour (but that's rare)..I don't cancel the class, I send someone else to do it...bec I have trained two of my advanced students to be able to give the class, so they make it instead of me...But, that is really rare, just in "case of emergency" :-), since the girls are used to me and they rather wish that we cancel the class than to have the supstitute...:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was thinking we do usually go over on class time (although I don't think it's for the purpose of making up time) so I'll not let it bother me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cancelled classes

Dear Group,
    LIke Tribal Dancer, I teach in a studio that is booked up most evening spaces. I also do have time reserved for private classes on Sundays and Thursday days, but right now those are filled, too. I usually give those who pay by the month a free class in the next session if we have to miss a class. That happened recently when there was no heat in the studio one sunday morning. I could see my breath in there!!
    So, my students who paid by the month got their make-up class with a free class day this month. I think it is the fair thing to do.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever had a student who fails to turn up at a class without prior notice, and later insists she deserves a makeup class?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cancellation

Dear Shanazel,
    I do not have make-up classes of any sort unless for some reason I am not there. Then it is my responsiblity to make sure I do right by my students. If they do not come to class, regardless of the reason, then it is not my responsiblity any more than it is their math teacher's or any other instructor's responsiblity. This is a hard line, I realize, but one can spend the rest of one's life making up classes if they are not careful.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    ...it is not my responsiblity any more than it is their math teacher's or any other instructor's responsiblity. This is a hard line, I realize....
    Am I being dense here? I don't think it's a hard line, it's an entirely reasonable and correct line.

If students pay up front for a course of classes and then miss some it is their problem. The refund policy is down to the teacher or the organisation he/she is working for, but to expect the teacher to give up their own time to do extra classes because a student missed a class...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Have you ever had a student who fails to turn up at a class without prior notice, and later insists she deserves a makeup class?
    Yes...I have.
    I have a policy that a student can make-up any 2 missed classes within a 6 week period during any of the OTHER classes that I offer. So if a Tues. student misses, she can attend a Thurs or Sunday class to make up the missed time. No extra class time for me...everybody's happy!
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cancellations

Dear Gia,
    I have treid something similar, but my beginners would unfortunately be lost in my other two classes unless they are fairly far along.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

my first teacher would allow beginner students who missed to take a class at the end of the session in the intermediate class...I did miss a class due to a rare work obligation but didn't feel comfortable going to the intermediate...my teacher(s) I have now say no makeup classes if you miss. I don't mind no makeups if I'm the one to miss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast