If you have to cancel class

sstacy123

I was just curious of the instructors if you had to cancel a class what would you do? Would you add another class on the end? Give a small refund? Or just cancel the class and that be it?

Gia al Qamar

When one of my classes is canceled to due weather or if I had to cancel due to my own illness, I would simply extend the current session (I teach in 6-week sessions) by a week.
Gia

Moon

I'm following a course that has 30-week sessions. Last year, we missed a lesson because the teacher was ill. She extended the session by a week, just like Gia does.

At our school, we also add an extra class on the end. For students, who miss a class or two, they are allowed to have a make-up private session or join another class that is dancing at their level.
Yasmine

TribalDancer

For my part, it is near impossible to "add on" to the end, since the series' run right up to one another. With holidays and various things already cutting into the series, if I have to cancel, I will usually offer a discount on the next session equal to one class.

gwinity

Our classes follow the school terms, so there is usually a 2-week break between terms. Last year my teacher was stuck in horrendous traffic and couldn't make it to her beginners' class, so she extended the term for another week so nobody missed out.

sstacy123

The reason I asked is because my teacher sent us an email last week stating there would be no class because she is going to a bd workshop. (She invited us) She had made no mention of a makeup class or anything. In fact at our last class (which was after the email) I don't think she mentioned the class being cancelled at all...There is another teacher that starts teaching after her but as they work together I don't see why she couldn't start a week later...maybe there is a good reason...anyway I haven't been with her for long but she seems really sweet and I really like her and I don't want to be a spoiled sport but I can't help but feeling a bit cheated. I mean I would have paid the same money for the 5 classes versus the 6 but when you expect six...Maybe it will still work out.

Zurah

Normally when a class is cancelled, the following two classes last an hour and a half, instead of the usual hour. Or we can also attend another class at a different hour.

TribalDancer

Hey Stacy,
There is nothing spoiled or wrong with politely writing her back and asking, "Will there be some make-up class, or will we get to credit the one missed class toward a future session?" Let her know that you want your money's worth. That is just smart, not rude! As long as you put it nicely, and in a way that makes ti clear it's because you want to take classes with her and hate to miss out on a class (even put that in hte mail, if you feel so compelled), then she should be able to answer just as nicely as to what her contingency is!

Everyone else...*jealous glare* I am so jealous you can just add classes and hours willy-nilly. My schedule is so tight (teach 4 nights a week in the ONLY free time at the studios I teach at) there is no way to be that flexible. I supposed it keeps me more strict to my schedule than I would be otherwise, but sometimes it feels downright confining to have to be so careful not to book things that overlap with class unless I schedule class precisely right around it!

Maria_Aya

Hi there

Because of my travelings, when I have to cancel a class, I try to fit the hour's of the class on the previous or the next weekend. So in the month they have 8 hours lesson in any case

Maria Aya:)

leila_yu

I do the same thing, so at the end....they always have their 8 classes per month..
I also have one more option if it turns out impossible to do the extra hour (but that's rare)..I don't cancel the class, I send someone else to do it...bec I have trained two of my advanced students to be able to give the class, so they make it instead of me...But, that is really rare, just in "case of emergency" :), since the girls are used to me and they rather wish that we cancel the class than to have the supstitute...:)

sstacy123

Well I was thinking we do usually go over on class time (although I don't think it's for the purpose of making up time) so I'll not let it bother me.

Aisha Azar

Cancelled classes

Dear Group,
LIke Tribal Dancer, I teach in a studio that is booked up most evening spaces. I also do have time reserved for private classes on Sundays and Thursday days, but right now those are filled, too. I usually give those who pay by the month a free class in the next session if we have to miss a class. That happened recently when there was no heat in the studio one sunday morning. I could see my breath in there!!
So, my students who paid by the month got their make-up class with a free class day this month. I think it is the fair thing to do.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Have you ever had a student who fails to turn up at a class without prior notice, and later insists she deserves a makeup class?:rolleyes:

Aisha Azar

Cancellation

Dear Shanazel,
I do not have make-up classes of any sort unless for some reason I am not there. Then it is my responsiblity to make sure I do right by my students. If they do not come to class, regardless of the reason, then it is not my responsiblity any more than it is their math teacher's or any other instructor's responsiblity. This is a hard line, I realize, but one can spend the rest of one's life making up classes if they are not careful.
Regards,
A'isha

Aniseteph

...it is not my responsiblity any more than it is their math teacher's or any other instructor's responsiblity. This is a hard line, I realize....

:confused: Am I being dense here? I don't think it's a hard line, it's an entirely reasonable and correct line.

If students pay up front for a course of classes and then miss some it is their problem. The refund policy is down to the teacher or the organisation he/she is working for, but to expect the teacher to give up their own time to do extra classes because a student missed a class...? :shok:

Gia al Qamar

Have you ever had a student who fails to turn up at a class without prior notice, and later insists she deserves a makeup class?:rolleyes:

Yes...I have.
I have a policy that a student can make-up any 2 missed classes within a 6 week period during any of the OTHER classes that I offer. So if a Tues. student misses, she can attend a Thurs or Sunday class to make up the missed time. No extra class time for me...everybody's happy!
Gia

Aisha Azar

Cancellations

Dear Gia,
I have treid something similar, but my beginners would unfortunately be lost in my other two classes unless they are fairly far along.
Regards,
A'isha

sstacy123

my first teacher would allow beginner students who missed to take a class at the end of the session in the intermediate class...I did miss a class due to a rare work obligation but didn't feel comfortable going to the intermediate...my teacher(s) I have now say no makeup classes if you miss. I don't mind no makeups if I'm the one to miss.