Troupe Costume Challenge

Chani

Im trying to think of our best options.

The main thing is for them to be as cheap as possible because they might only be used the once.

There are 4 of us. Two tall, slim, small bused, fair skinned women with red hair. Two short, brunette with curves who will definitely need a supportive top.

The dance is a drum solo.

We are a student troupe but it's for a high level performance - I suppose something half way between professional and class wear would be acceptable.

We are in Australia but have time to get something shipped from overseas.

My fear is that for the price suggested we spend (less than AUD$50) we will all end up looking tragic so I am trying to hunt around for a good option that is reasonable and might suit our various figures. Personally I don't think it's possible to get anything decent for that little so I am looking at anything up to $100...or possibly making part of our costumes ourselves...I can sew fairly well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

gisela

Super Moderator
Hmmm, this is always tricky.
My instant reaction is to focus on the hips because it's a drum solo. Sparkly, fringe-y, "accentuating the shimmies" belts. The rest of the outfit could be fairly simple, all the same colour.

Ariadne

I suppose something half way between professional and class wear would be acceptable.

We are in Australia but have time to get something shipped from overseas.

L.Rose Designs has an "Instant Costume" on their deals page.
INSTANT COSTUME
Fringe Tie Belt and a Half Top (any size, any sleeve length)
| Velvet or Cotton Lycra: $55.00 | Metallic or Glitter combo: $60.00 |

Fringe Tie Belt and a Stretch Choli (any size, any sleeve length)
| Velvet or Cotton Lycra combo: $58.00 | Metallic or Glitter combo: $63.00 |​
The half top would allow your larger members to wear whatever bra's they need to for support and still have everyone match.

Since you say you can sew fairly well you can always make some circle skirts for each of you with whatever fabric you can lay your hands on in your budget. Shira.net has some great instructions (How to Make a Belly Dance Circle Skirt - An Online Costume Pattern) as does Shushanna's site (Shushanna Designs: How to Make Costumes).

Shanazel

You didn't say what style of dance or whether the $100 is per costume or for all four.

I aim for very inexpensive costumes for my students' group performances, but they always look nice. My favorite is black pants/skirts, long sleeved tops of various jewel colors, black powernet torso covers, and scarves to match the tops. The good thing about this combo is it can be used again in whole or part.

Chani

Oh, I had thought I replied to this thread but I don't see my post.

Thanks so much for the advice.

We have decided to go with the L.Rose half top and trumpet skirt and will make our own belts. I'm trilled to find this company. What great gear at such fantastic prices and they seem like lovely people.

We will get away with each person spending less than $100 which is awesome.

I knew this was the place to ask.

Chani

So following on...we are putting together velvet trumpet skirts with velvet long sleeved half tops all in our individual choice of colour and my job is to make belts all the same to tie us together.

After our audition when we were selected to do the performance the woman running the show suggested out costumes be "ritzy" and with bits hanging off to accentuate our movements.

My instructor has gifted us some black and gold french lace with gold and silver sequin design on it to use as a base. It's not stretchy fabric. I envisage beaded fringing but I'm not that certain what style of belt would best go with a trumpet skirt and what style of belt would fit the bill "ritzy".

Ariadne

Well in the picture from L. Rose Designs own site they show a belt with clustered fringe.

One of my favorite ever Bedlahs was also photographed with a trumpet skirt and it also had spaced fringe.

Kata Maya in the Project Belly Dance competition wore a similar bedlah that made such an impression on me I took still shots and threw them into my inspirations folder. (I would love to know who made it.)

Just remember that beading ALWAYS takes longer then you think it will so if time is an issue simple is better.

Chani

Oh nice. I love all of those. I agree the spacing is nice. Sometimes spaced can look a bit sparse but these are all gorgeous.

Daimona

So following on...we are putting together velvet trumpet skirts with velvet long sleeved half tops all in our individual choice of colour and my job is to make belts all the same to tie us together.

After our audition when we were selected to do the performance the woman running the show suggested out costumes be "ritzy" and with bits hanging off to accentuate our movements.

My instructor has gifted us some black and gold french lace with gold and silver sequin design on it to use as a base. It's not stretchy fabric. I envisage beaded fringing but I'm not that certain what style of belt would best go with a trumpet skirt and what style of belt would fit the bill "ritzy".

To make your job easier:

How about a sash with fringes on the ends, such as the ones from L.Rose (see attached picture)?
Or make or buy a couple of appliques matching the belt fabric with some fringes on?