Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

If you already know the move in your brain and body, I don't see a great benefit in drilling daily for people beyond the beginner level. I'm in the minority for sure

You will hardly ever do the same move the same way if you are reacting to the music in the moment. The only way to accomplish that is to simply listen to the music, watch good dancers, and dance a lot yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jane with an exception. Certain moves (for example: shimmies) need regular maintainance to retain their crispness & precision.

Drill the moves that aren't working & just throw on some music & improv or noodle (thanks Nadira Jamal!) and try to use the moves you know you rarely use. That way you expand your move repetoir and get improv practice as well.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

okay, see this here is what I needed to know. thanx. that makes it a lot easier. i already know the basic moves. so now I'll go off and drill stuff that is hard for me.

walking on revele anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

While I think drilling is indeed most important for beginners, I don't think we ever completely lose our need for it. At beginner levels it may be most of what you do, whereas at more advanced levels you should focus on other things rather than drilling, however I don't think drilling is ever something we should completely toss.

No move is ever perfect. There's always more we can work on. Being able to stand in front of the mirror and do a hip circle is great, but why stop there? Why not drill it with different weight placements? Different arm frames? Different arm paths? Different expressions? At different angles? While traveling on relevé? Why not drill it using different types of music, changing the emphasis and accents and speed? Etc...

Of course, I'm not recommending making it harder just for the sake of making it hard. If you have no use for traveling hip circles in your style, it's completely useless for you to drill them. But watch videos of yourself, watch videos of the dancers you like, find out where your flaws lie and where your dance is lacking. Create drills to work on each of those things and you will see yourself improve at a much quicker rate than you would if you had been working on those things by just dancing and trying to remember--while dancing--all those things you should work on.

Post Thanks / Like

thats why i don't want to drill those things. one thing that I like to use in my dance that I NEED to drill is turns and transitions and things like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12