drilling drill drillz

Ahava_Melantha

how often a week do you guyz drill?

does drilling in a style or from a teacher thats totally different from you - does it still help and benefit you personal dance journey?

thanx.

Yame

IMO, no. If you're going to drill regularly you should drill the aesthetics you want for yourself. So use someone you'd want to emulate. Because that's what you're body is going to do when it's on "auto pilot."

Munniko

See this is what I've been wondering because I struggle to practice drilling due to my lack of a full length mirror (in fact the only mirror I own atm is the ones in the bathroom) I plan on getting a full length mirror for practice soon, but right now I'm getting ready to switch countries so that is not a logical idea.

So back to the practicing of drills, do you think that an hour a day is enough?

Ahava_Melantha

I would also luv to know too, how often and how long other dancers drill as opposed to improv as wwell as learning new choreography, etc

Yame

See, I tend to avoid answering this question for a variety of reasons. First, because I don't think there is one standard answer, it varies from person to person depending on the goals and the person's situation. And second, because it forces me to admit that I haven't been drilling (or practicing) enough for my standards and goals.

I also don't like to answer this because I think ANY amount of drilling and practice is better than none. If we set ourselves up for a certain amount, we are more likely to be disappointed and give up when we fail to achieve that amount. It's better to just think in terms of doing it regularly than trying to force yourself to get through 30 minutes or an hour or two hours...

But if you're at a point where you're already drilling regularly and have no problem getting yourself motivated to do it, I would say try to determine the time based on the amount of free time you have, your goals, and how long you can realistically do it while still having fun. It could be 15 minutes a day, or it could be 3 hours. It depends on the person.

Sophia Maria

I have to say I never do just a drill. I usually mix it with another thing in one practice. And it very much depends on my mood. I try to dance every day for at least 30 minutes (usually ends up being at least an hour haha) and I have a vague plan for the week of a variety of things I need to work on. For example, structured improv, strength/endurance drills, choreography, zils, and also pure "put the music on and dance" improv. But I realized that I should never force myself to do something when my body says no. If my schedule suggests "drills" on Friday but my body says "improv!" I do what it says. I'll just drill on Saturday instead.

Ahava_Melantha

okay thanx. I do plenty of drilling, but I am thinking of cutting down cuz it seems like thats ALL I do, and I'm not really getting anywhere. so I think I will need to add in a techniqe dvd or something.

SeeJaneDance

For what it's worth, I've spent the last year or so drilling for a half hour every night, more or less. It's really helped my technique and stamina. However, unless I have a choreography to practice, that's all I've been doing. I now find myself in two improv classes and having a heck of a time with them! Granted, I'm new to it, but I know that the way I was practicing is a big part of my problem. From now on, I need to change the way I practice so I don't get stuck in ruts when I dance.

Kashmir

There is no point in drilling for the sake of drilling. If you are drilling to improve technique then standard training theory holds - you need to drill as well technically as you can - stop and restart if you lose it; you need to bring your awareness into your drilling - don't just turn off - monitor; you need to push yourself out of your comfort zone occasionally - for instance: longer, faster, with layers.

If you drill is perfect and can be held for say 5 minutes - do something else.

Jane

If you already know the move in your brain and body, I don't see a great benefit in drilling daily for people beyond the beginner level. I'm in the minority for sure ;)

You will hardly ever do the same move the same way if you are reacting to the music in the moment. The only way to accomplish that is to simply listen to the music, watch good dancers, and dance a lot yourself.

Darshiva

I agree with Jane with an exception. Certain moves (for example: shimmies) need regular maintainance to retain their crispness & precision.

Drill the moves that aren't working & just throw on some music & improv or noodle (thanks Nadira Jamal!) and try to use the moves you know you rarely use. That way you expand your move repetoir and get improv practice as well.

Ahava_Melantha

okay, see this here is what I needed to know. thanx. that makes it a lot easier. i already know the basic moves. so now I'll go off and drill stuff that is hard for me.

walking on revele anyone?

Yame

While I think drilling is indeed most important for beginners, I don't think we ever completely lose our need for it. At beginner levels it may be most of what you do, whereas at more advanced levels you should focus on other things rather than drilling, however I don't think drilling is ever something we should completely toss.

No move is ever perfect. There's always more we can work on. Being able to stand in front of the mirror and do a hip circle is great, but why stop there? Why not drill it with different weight placements? Different arm frames? Different arm paths? Different expressions? At different angles? While traveling on relevé? Why not drill it using different types of music, changing the emphasis and accents and speed? Etc...

Of course, I'm not recommending making it harder just for the sake of making it hard. If you have no use for traveling hip circles in your style, it's completely useless for you to drill them. But watch videos of yourself, watch videos of the dancers you like, find out where your flaws lie and where your dance is lacking. Create drills to work on each of those things and you will see yourself improve at a much quicker rate than you would if you had been working on those things by just dancing and trying to remember--while dancing--all those things you should work on.

Ahava_Melantha

thats why i don't want to drill those things. one thing that I like to use in my dance that I NEED to drill is turns and transitions and things like this.