Hello from Cairo, Egypt

MizzNaaa

Hey everyone!

I ran by this site while looking for Bellydance communities that I could join, I've been lurking around reading topics for a while before I finally decided to go ahead and sign up.

I'm 20 year old art student from Cairo, Egypt. I've been bellydancing since I was four-ish. Always loved to dance since I was a little kid, and watching all those Egyptian dancers in old B&W movies was an inspiration. By 16-ish I'd gained a lot of weight, and the times I spent belly dancing moved from being an every other day session, to every long once in a while, and I almost completely stopped, but currently, I'm back on track trying to shed the weight and go back seriously to what I used to do.

I've never actually got any professional training, but from what mom told me, bellydancing runs in the family :D

It makes me so happy to see our dance spread so widely. I've been watching youtube vids of dancers from the US and Europe for the past few years and loving the twists and fusions everybody's been adding to it. It's so refreshing and beautiful.

I can't wait to talk to you all!

Cheers & Keep the shimmies coming!

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Welcome MizzNaa! How nice to have you join the forum :) I hope you will enjoy taking part in the discussions.

How is the art scene in Cairo? What kind of art do you study?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
To the forum, there are folk from all around the world here - we a quite a large world wide web family. I look forward to seeing you around the forum.:D
~Mosaic

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
...loving the twists and fusions everybody's been adding to it. It's so refreshing and beautiful.
Its interesting hearing you say this. Fusion in its various forms is VERY controversial in some circles because it isn't "authentic" Middle Eastern dance as practiced in the Middle East.

And welcome to our little corner of the web!

MizzNaaa

@Gisela, Thank you! Well, the art scene here really is as varied as one would expect in any big city, there's everything from fine arts to photography and film-making, to dancing and music.. As for me, I study Graphic Design and doing fine arts.

@Zobra, I noticed, but I think in every form of art you'd find the group of people who are resisting change of any kind. Honestly, Belly dance was a dying art, still is, in my country and the area, which has been as of late overrun with people advocating their own definition of propriety and religious beliefs, etc. etc....and a whole bundle of other issues in the current culture that prevents it from truly flourishing.

I can't possibly dream of practicing bellydance on any kind of professional or even public level because the society looks down on something that was an integral part of our culture and the art scene in Egypt three decades ago. It's sad, but it's the truth, so people like me who truly love it, are doing it in private scenes, or in friend groups/parties that kind of thing, but nothing on a serious level.

The way I see it, Bellydancing was revived when the western world got attracted to it, and saw its true beauty and the fusions are just a testament to how this is a form of true dance that could adapt and change. Which is why I absolutely love it.

I myself practice the traditional Egyptian style mainly, and Sadie and Kaya's style (Have no idea what to call that) but hopefully when I manage to lose the weight and regain my flexibility I'd truly love to experience other fusions *fingers crossed*

Anyway, thank you all for the warm welcome! I can't wait to get to know you all!

Safran

Welcome to the forum, MizzNaaa! I am looking forward to your input in the discussions. And I hope we can help you to get back on track with dancing!

Shanazel

Welcome to the forum! I'm happy you decided to join us.

The way I see it, Bellydancing was revived when the western world got attracted to it, and saw its true beauty and the fusions are just a testament to how this is a form of true dance that could adapt and change. Which is why I absolutely love it.

What a lovely sentiment!

Wonder what a particularly adamant Egyptian purist of American descent some of us know would think of that statement? ;)

MizzNaaa

Welcome to the forum, MizzNaaa! I am looking forward to your input in the discussions. And I hope we can help you to get back on track with dancing!

Hi! The fact that you're quoting Tahia Carioca in your signature makes me want to hug you :D

She's got to be on the top of my list of all time favorite belly dancers!!