Achilles Tendinopathy ?

khanjar

I seem to have developed a problem with my achilles tendons on both feet, I think it could have been caused by practicing bouncing on the toes to strengthen the calf muscles for dancing, plus a bit of power walking on the moors last month, but anyhow, the damage is done, I need to find a way out of this now, so any suggestions ?

Also do any other dancers experience this and how do you think you got it ?

Shanazel

I've had tendonitis under the arch of my foot due to overuse strain and the only cure I found for it was rest, as suggested by my doctor.

If it doesn't get better with rest, better go see your own doc. No Achilles tendon, no walkie, much less dancie. :naghty:

Ariadne

First the disclaimer, you should probably see a Dr or Chiropractor.

Second, didn't you recently start dancing again? A few years ago when I was preparing for a (one and only it turns out) performance I over did it in practicing to where my ankles wouldn't support me. My teacher had me wrap them and then take it easy for the next week so they could recover in time.

Still if you don't have a teacher you can ask I would definitely talk to a Dr so you don't make it worse. That's not something you want to take chances with.

Shanazel

No, no! Please don't ask your teacher! :pray: I hate it when my students ask for medical advice. Dancer and Doctor both have five letters, begin with D and end with R, but beyond that there is no similarity. Docs have malpractice insurance; dance teachers don't. ;)

khanjar

Well, I saw my doc today and he knows I belly dance as he asks how the back is getting on, he being one of those that recognises belly dance as being beneficial to backs, but anyway, the achillies tendon he has given me a bunch of exercises to do to strengthen them and has recommended more walking up hill and chance would have it here be a lot of hills and one actually called murder hill because it is murder to walk up it, even the tarmac surfacing heads south when it's warm.

But I think it is the dancing that did it as power walking on Dartmoor I used to do a lot of that and I never had these problems before, plus I cycle a lot.

But I am aware this kind of injury dancers are prone to, them and runners.

Ariadne

Good for you. :)

No, no! Please don't ask your teacher! :pray: I hate it when my students ask for medical advice.

:lol: Well I had assumed that if his teacher wasn't qualified with some kind of fitness license he would be told to go to a Dr. He does live in the UK after all and I understand that the laws are stricter there about that sort of thing.

Shanazel

I have a bachelor's degree, did graduate work, obtained a post bach paralegal certificate, and am certified by a national professional organization but that doesn't mean I can practice law. By the same token, I wouldn't expect a fitness educator to practice medicine, no matter how much background she or he has in physical training and fitness. :naghty:;)

Personal pet peeve; sorry. I also get irate when faced with so-called master gardeners who don't know the difference between Isopropylamine salt of N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine and Diethyl 2-[(dimethoxyphosphorothioyl)sulfanyl]butanedioate. :cool::lol:

Ariadne

Well that's a pet peeve I can understand. I guess I'm not being very clear though. Every professional dancer I know as well as those with fitness certification are qualified to tell if ankle problems are serious enough to need to go to a Dr or if they just need to take it easy. I'm not suggesting that if they need medical help their teachers can do it for them just that they can tell them if they may need to see one. In the case above I didn't. Several years earlier though when I did something to one of my calves I did and a teacher let me know it.

Shanazel

Ariadne honey, I know what you mean. I'm just rattling your chain and I apologize for it. It was late and I was getting dingy. ;) Even I am qualified to say, "Well, you dim witted doll, that's bone sticking out of your shin. Go see a doctor."