It's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Yame

There is a lot of lovely dancers this year - I don't have any favs yet. I must watch the uncut performances maybe that will give me a better idea:D

Yame you really should enter the next one & so should Cassandra
~Mosaic

I was surprised Cassandra didn't enter this year!

Bast

Thanks for this thread! I had no idea this show existed or that I would have access to it if it did.
I love the internet :D

AndreaSTL

I just watched the first episode yesterday, and I love it! I haven't watched the full performances yet, though. As mentioned, I can't imagine how difficult it was to do the choreography challenge. It's hard enough to do that when all the dancers know each other, but with strangers? Oy!

A question about judging: I notice that not all judges are giving critique for every dancer. I guess there were scheduling conflicts, but if a particular judge didn't see a dancer's performance will she take the others' word for it? Do they score each dancer individually as the competition goes along or wait until the end and rank them then?

I've met and/or seen a few of the dancers, and it's hard to not let my previous interactions cloud my opinion of their performances (mostly positive). I find myself predisposed to liking what they're doing and more likely to forgive a misstep or dismiss a quirk as being her style. For those of you who also know the dancers involved, are you having the same issue? I am so glad I'm not a judge!!

MissVega

To be honest I wasn't drawn to want to enter after the first season. I didn't find the challenges to be completely applicable to selecting the best dancer to put out an instructional dvd, but that might be because reality TV and that sort of format has never appealed to me, so some of it might have been lost on me.

A lot of people sent me the info about this saying I should enter but it's not something I could see myself doing.

I did watch this first episode though. I also noticed that some judges weren't there for all of the dancers. Personally I found this very weird and didn't think it was appropriate in regards to fairness within the competition as some judges seemed to be a bit more critical than others. In competitions I feel that consistency and fairness are crucial.

I've seen a fair number of these dancers perform in person though so I already had expectations and preconceived ideas of how they dance and had favourites before even watching the show lol.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I still think you could win Cassie:D ...... is my "biasosity" showing?

Mind you, you'd have to enter one year & Yame another or else it would be too hard to choose:D
~Mosaic

Greek Bonfire

I just finished watching it, and some of those judges are really, really tough, and on stuff I would've never thought to judge on. I thought last year's judges weren't quite so hard on the dancers. However, the dancers they chose I was pleased with, although it must've been really, really hard. I think each and every one of them is extraordinary but I'll go out on a limb and say that Sadiyah(sp?) is my favorite so far.

I'm not a bellydance competition lover, not because I would be laughed out of it as I'm not even close to being that good, but each person interprets art differently. As I stated before, some of the things the judges didn't like, I did, and in my dance life, any competition I saw never picked the same one to win as I would've chosen. I'm so glad I don't have to be a judge! Also, I'm glad to see dancers of all different sizes and shapes and how it doesn't seem to matter.

Darshiva

A new ep should be up soon. Michelle has been posting it on fb pretty widely so I'll keep an eye out there for the next ep.

I think they were one week apart last year, but it's been more than a week since I posted it (on the day of release) so who knows.

Darshiva

UPDATE

Project: Bellydance Season 2 Ep 2 due out this Wednesday. Time to order tea & cakes in advance!

Safran

UPDATE

Project: Bellydance Season 2 Ep 2 due out this Wednesday. Time to order tea & cakes in advance!

Aha, so here is the plan - I am going to come straight home after class on Wednesday to watch this. And then come to this thread :lol:

Amulya

Spoiler alert:

The end of the episode started playing up for me so I didn't see if they had a performance for the evening show.

I found it quite hard to watch that many performances in a row! Midway they all started to look the same. Not many had a very distinctive style. Some did, but most seemed to follow the same kind of style. But they had huge music limitations :(

I loved the brown dress! Without the waist cutouts, but that was a costume that totally stood out. Lots of beautiful costumes but some hideous ones. A few weren't balanced out with the top and bottom I noticed: the tops too tiny for a heavy skirts.

I loved the first two group dances, they were great. The third was kind of 'messy'.

On the judging, I found it sad that one dancer only got a few seconds and was kind of skipped over while the rest were shown properly. Last year they skipped over a lot of dancers, I didn't think that was fair.
It seemed that the judges were only giving positive critique somehow or is that just me?

They liked dancers I couldn't stand haha. And they liked the ones I liked less. But it's such a personal thing, that's why I don't like competitions.

I got to see it again to decide who was my favourite, there are several. Did anyone notice there were a few dancers who danced very 'frantic' as if they had to do extra things to impress? Like the sword dancer was over the top for me, but indeed probably good to hire for a party with general audience, they probably like it.

I am really curious to see the next episode!

Last edited:

Amulya

The uncut performances are up now!

Link please :D that will make it so much easier to watch them dancer by dancer and not all quickly in a row, easier to make up ones mind about favourites :)

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Project Belly Dance - a reality show
Full performances here.

I don't remember the brown dress. Might have to do a quick watch-through yet again.

Yes, I thought a few were quite frantic. Either they were hurrying to impress the judges in just the 2,5 min they had, or they just have that style, or they got nervous.
There were quite many that were nice and calm, though.

Michelle Joyce said on a BHUZ-thread that she gave much thought on which critique to keep in the video. She didn't want to hang dancers out to the public. They all get to know the full critique in private though, afterwards, perhaps in written form, I can't remember.

Darshiva

*************************Spoilers********************************

YAY, my favourite made it through!

Amulya

The video with the complete choreographies plays up for me as well: midway it just stops and won't go any further!