It's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Amulya

Off topic, but I noticed something a lot of dancers do in the contest: they form a triangle with their thumb and forefinger all the time. It's something I have seen dancers do lately as opposed to in the past. I first thought it was something more typical to modern Egyptian dancers (they don't do it in older videos) but people from other countries do it too lately.
Anyone else noticed? Is there a specific dancer who came up with this and everybody copies it?

Amulya

I opened the page again and started from the moment where it stopped, that way it does work. I don't think it's because of the link, I had it with the first episode too.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Off topic, but I noticed something a lot of dancers do in the contest: they form a triangle with their thumb and forefinger all the time. It's something I have seen dancers do lately as opposed to in the past. I first thought it was something more typical to modern Egyptian dancers (they don't do it in older videos) but people from other countries do it too lately.
Anyone else noticed? Is there a specific dancer who came up with this and everybody copies it?
I think it is a way to form more graceful hands/fingers, rather than have stiff or floppy hands. Could be that teachers try to instil in students the importance of graceful hands - could come from the more balletic trained dancers?
~M

Amulya

They are kind of stiff, they are in that position most of the time. But it could be that they were taught that to avoid floppy hands. Although nearly all dancers in this contest do it and they won't all have had the same teacher.
The first person I really noticed it of was Yasmin's of Cairo, but I had seen it before.

SeeJaneDance

You aren't kidding...I didn't notice it the first time I watched it, but I just went back and stopped randomly on three different dancers, and they all did it. That's odd... Every teacher I've ever had (and several on DVDs) have encouraged a default position that's similar to wearing zills, without the zills.

Darshiva

Maybe they all did the same 'elegant hands/graceful feet' workshop at the festival before doing the contest?

Ariadne

I'm confused. Did some of them perform a new dance and some of them repeat the ones they did for the judges?

MissVega

I'm confused. Did some of them perform a new dance and some of them repeat the ones they did for the judges?

Those who were eliminated from the first round (first episode) had a chance to dance "for their life" for the audience. The one who got the most votes from the audience got to be back in the competition. These girls had to do the same routine that they did for the judges in round 1, but for the audience this time.

Those who made it into the next round of judging had to perform a second peice (different from their first round piece for the judges). However the twist was the day of they found out that they would be getting another dancer's music. However the organizers messed up and some girls ended up with their actual music so they then decided to make those girls dance again to unknown music... which was pointless since they still had the advantage of getting to dance twice and the judges having more exposure to their style. This was BS in my opinion and shouldn't of happened. The music swap could have been better organized and each girl would have been on the same playing field.

Hope that helps:)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
One of my favs Dalida got eliminated:(, but Christina gadea is still in. Ii also like maria. But overall (IMO) I don't think the dancers this time are as good as project 1. Ziva who was voted into the final 3 by the audience I felt was very disjointed in her improv, arms flailing everywhere. I wasn't impressed with the choice. I actually think voting someone into the final 3 is unfair, vote for a pass into the next level OK, but not the final 3.
~Mosaic

Amulya

Miss Vega, that makes sense. It looked a bit odd every now and then, but I couldn't work out why.

The next day they got music they didn't hear before didn't they? Some people did well and some were so confused. It wasn't very fair to some: some of them got really hard music or music that was cut up into bits so there were several silences in between. That really confused them.

Amulya

You aren't kidding...I didn't notice it the first time I watched it, but I just went back and stopped randomly on three different dancers, and they all did it. That's odd... Every teacher I've ever had (and several on DVDs) have encouraged a default position that's similar to wearing zills, without the zills.

In episode two nearly all did it. It is getting on my nerves! Yes my teachers used to teach the same as what you say, but with the ring finger touching as well. Kind of as if you are holding something between the thumb and middle and ring finger. Not the index finger and thumb touching. It's fine if its done every now and then, it brings variety in hand movements, but when it is all the time it makes the hands look stiff even if they are in an elegant position.

Maria is also one of my favourites.

Safran

Re the "little birdie"-fingers, I am not a great fan of it either but I have come across a lot of dancers who use it and teach it. I guess I understand the logic behind it - if you press those fingers together there is now way any of your fingers will crook up.

As for episode two, I finally saw it. My internet connection is wonky, so it took me a while to see the full episode - it was like watching 3 mini-episodes instead. And do you have any idea how difficult it was to stay away from this thread until I had seen it all!?!?

/spoilers/

The tasks are really amazing - you really have to be a very versatile dancer to excel - you have to be a great choreographer, good at improvising, know the background of what you do (I really enjoyed the "name that tune"-challenge) etc.. And you have be able to keep your cool no matter what :)

Having organised events, I do understand how mishaps may sometimes happen. I don't think the two dancer who danced twice got too much of an advantage - I am pretty sure the judges already have a clue about what all the dancers are about, and the length of "exposure" won't play too big of a role there.

As for dancers who were selected - there are both dancers that I liked and dancers that I don't care for that much. For me it means that the judges are doing a good job - my opinion is based purely on personal preferences, but they are really trying to be as objective as possible :lol:

Amulya

Re the "little birdie"-fingers, I am not a great fan of it either but I have come across a lot of dancers who use it and teach it. I guess I understand the logic behind it - if you press those fingers together there is now way any of your fingers will crook up.
:

That's a good name for it! Put it in the OD dictionary :D. Btw at first I got a picture in my mind of that dancer who did the peacock impression (I did not like that actually) haha, but that's a whole different hand position altogether, one I don't like either.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
OMG! I got so much to catch up on now. Will have to watch as much as I can over my lunch break.

TiffaniAhdia

I'm so glad everyone's enjoying the show this year! I was super lucky and blessed to be part of it, not to mention making the top 6! Just letting everyone know, the next few challenges are crazy! You won't want to miss them! ;)

Yame

So, I've been inactive for a little bit since I'm on a trip, but today I found the time to watch Episode 2 and come here to rant.

SPOILER
This time around I really disliked the judges' picks. The challenges were great, but I didn't think that much emphasis on public speaking was necessary. Furthermore, many amazing dancers who did fine on public speaking were eliminated over dancers who were not as good.

I think all the girls are great dancers but it's disappointing for me to see some of the really top-notch girls eliminated for no good reason.