Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Veil drapes and knots?

Hello,

Does anyone have a suggestion for what Aziza is doing at 1.32 and forward? I mean I know she is losening the veil knot, but how is it knotted and how does she pull it out? Is it a small loop?

The knot seems quite secure, but she doesn't have to pull a lot.

And what other suggestions do you have for a situation where you need the veil after about 1.30 minutes on stage? I would rather not have it placed on stage and pick it up.
    Other ways of draping?

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so first, that veil is GORGEOUS! Second...this is going to sound odd, but could it be a half Windsor tie knot? Like men's ties? It's very secure, but it comes undone exactly like that when you pull one of the sides out, and it pulls easily. It's a variation on a slipknot. And it seems like it's got that sort of triangular shape to it when it's still knotted. I'd have never thought of it, but it's brilliant for a very thin veil.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks to me like she tied it only once and not in a knot. Also, those are two very difficult pieces of music IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    It looks to me like she tied it only once and not in a knot. Also, those are two very difficult pieces of music IMO.
    Well, she is not pulling any end of the veil through anything. The ends stay hanging while the knot is "dissolved".

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is awesome! I'll check my Veil with Aziza DVD tomorrow to see if anything on there might give a clue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Well, she is not pulling any end of the veil through anything. The ends stay hanging while the knot is "dissolved".
    Gisela, that's EXACTLY what makes me think it's a half Windsor knot.

ETA: And now it occurs to me that that doesn't make any sense. I agree, it looks like she's pulling the shorter end out through a loosened knot on that last spin. If the fabric were any heavier it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by SeeJaneDance; 09-27-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Gisela that you'd still need to pull the equivalent of the small end of the tie all the way back through the knot structure to release it. But with a not-too-tight knot and silk and practice you could probably do it in a smooth move.

I'm not a knot expert but most quick release knots I've seen work by having loops pulled through instead of the whole end. And I don't see a loop, like you'd get in a bow or half bow (is that a thing? it's how I tie my hipscarf).

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I saw the end come through as she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jahbie View Post
    I thought I saw the end come through as she spins.
    Me too.

Post Thanks / Like

It did come through! Last night a student of mine said Aziza explained this in a workshop.
    She put the veil over her shoulder, tied a very simple, loose knot, and let the ends hang down together. When pulling it out, it came undone so easily it looked exactly as in the video. Fast and easy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast