Veil drapes and knots?

gisela

Super Moderator
Hello,

Does anyone have a suggestion for what Aziza is doing at 1.32 and forward? I mean I know she is losening the veil knot, but how is it knotted and how does she pull it out? Is it a small loop?

The knot seems quite secure, but she doesn't have to pull a lot.

And what other suggestions do you have for a situation where you need the veil after about 1.30 minutes on stage? I would rather not have it placed on stage and pick it up.
Other ways of draping?

SeeJaneDance

Okay, so first, that veil is GORGEOUS! Second...this is going to sound odd, but could it be a half Windsor tie knot? Like men's ties? It's very secure, but it comes undone exactly like that when you pull one of the sides out, and it pulls easily. It's a variation on a slipknot. And it seems like it's got that sort of triangular shape to it when it's still knotted. I'd have never thought of it, but it's brilliant for a very thin veil.

Greek Bonfire

It looks to me like she tied it only once and not in a knot. Also, those are two very difficult pieces of music IMO.

gisela

Super Moderator
It looks to me like she tied it only once and not in a knot. Also, those are two very difficult pieces of music IMO.

Well, she is not pulling any end of the veil through anything. The ends stay hanging while the knot is "dissolved".

Yshka

Wow, that is awesome! I'll check my Veil with Aziza DVD tomorrow to see if anything on there might give a clue :)

SeeJaneDance

Well, she is not pulling any end of the veil through anything. The ends stay hanging while the knot is "dissolved".

Gisela, that's EXACTLY what makes me think it's a half Windsor knot.

ETA: And now it occurs to me that that doesn't make any sense. I agree, it looks like she's pulling the shorter end out through a loosened knot on that last spin. If the fabric were any heavier it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

I agree with Gisela that you'd still need to pull the equivalent of the small end of the tie all the way back through the knot structure to release it. But with a not-too-tight knot and silk and practice you could probably do it in a smooth move.

I'm not a knot expert but most quick release knots I've seen work by having loops pulled through instead of the whole end. And I don't see a loop, like you'd get in a bow or half bow (is that a thing? it's how I tie my hipscarf).

Yshka

It did come through! Last night a student of mine said Aziza explained this in a workshop.
She put the veil over her shoulder, tied a very simple, loose knot, and let the ends hang down together. When pulling it out, it came undone so easily it looked exactly as in the video. Fast and easy!

AndreaSTL

And what other suggestions do you have for a situation where you need the veil after about 1.30 minutes on stage? I would rather not have it placed on stage and pick it up.
Other ways of draping?
What immediately comes to mind is:
- Bring both arms up to give the veil lift and then walk into it. Bring your hands to the back and release the veil. This should leave it gathered at your neck with the ends trailing behind you.
- Tuck the spots where you hold the veil into your belt at the hips. It should drape in the back framing your behind.
- If you are inside the veil tuck it in on one side at the hip and it will drape and frame the other hip.
- If you are inside the veil raise the arm that is not holding veil. This will make the veil fall and settle on your shoulder. Tuck the other end in at your hip. It will fall diagonally across your torso like a pageant sash.

I'm not a veil expert, so you probably already know about these. I thought I'd throw them out there anyway. :)

gisela

Super Moderator
Thanks Yshka and Andrea. I'll have a look at your posts and try the things out on Monday.
Superbusy dance weekend :)