Post Thanks / Like

Default Ready to join a troupe?

I'm extremely eager to join a dance troupe, specifically the student troupe associated with the dance studio I go to. There are closed auditions 2-3x a year, but I haven't heard anything about them. I want to ask the head teacher about it (there are about 10 teachers at the studio), but I'm afraid if I do she'll think I'm crazy. I'm 17 years old, and started dancing 6 months ago. I'm honestly not sure if I'm "good enough" for a troupe yet. I have been going to the studio an average 4 hours a week for classes since I've started, and practiced a ton over the summer when I started. Now that school has started, I don't practice near as much, but I still go there 4 hours a week. I don't plan on dancing professionally, but I really love belly dancing (it helped me get through my eating disorders of 4 years) and I want to be in a troupe really badly. How do you know if you're ready to take that next step?

Post Thanks / Like

Just ask her. If you go to the audition but don't get picked for the troupe, you might be able to get some advice for what to work on for next time. 2-3 times a year is quite often, so you'll have more chances if you don't get in now. Just do it Troupes are fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe worth asking what the minimum requirements are for being considered - then if need be you can work on those areas. For instance, it's great you attend 4 hours of classes a week - but what do you do? I assume you have done lots of technique, how much have you worked on choreography - learning and creating? improvisation? folk styles? (depending on the troupe these skills may or may not be required). What costumes do you have? How much performance experience do you have. And, for me (having been biten by a very keen and talented young dancer) can you really, really commit to rehearsals and performances - every time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    can you really, really commit to rehearsals and performances - every time?
    Yes, very important! A great dancer with zero commitment to the troupe is not going to be an asset.

If you are ambitious and interested, then I am sure the teacher is going to be happy that you show so much interest and consideration that you ask questions.

Post Thanks / Like

A big hug and congrats for working through the eating disorder! It's not an easy thing to do, but you did it.

As for the troupe, I agree to just ask. Your teacher knows you are enthusiastic because you come to four classes, but she may not know that you are ready to commit yourself to a troupe. It is definitely a commitment, though, and not something you can just show up for when you have time.

If you do try out and don't get in ask for feedback on what you can improve for the next time. Work on those things and have another go at it. Some students want very specific and frequent corrections, and others like to work through things on their own. As a teacher you have to try to figure out where students fall, and I would guess that if you came out and told her she'd appreciate not having to guess. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Ask. What have you got to lose? Good luck! And keep practicing.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."