Setting Dye, Preventing Runs, and What to Do when it's Too Late?

gwinity

I bought some stunning braid/trim recently, which I'll be using to decorate a bra. Before I sewed it, I thought it a good idea to check for colourfastness (by running a swatch under water) - and I'm glad I did! The dye in the embroidery around the mirrors didn't appear to be set, so yesterday I hand washed the entire length of trim with supposedly colourfast washing powder.

Can we say "bad idea"?

Like I said, the dye wasn't set, and the colourfast detergent didn't seem to do a thing! So we've gone from a stunning, vibrant raspberry-pink to a mottled, faded pink. (see attached - before at top, after at bottom. It's blurry, but I had a cat bump me.)

So. The question is: Is it noticeable, is it salvageable (I have 4 yards of the damaged trim), or should I cut my losses and buy more and be extra careful next time?

And have you ever had costume-related dye-accidents, and how did you recover?

Shanazel

The pictures look fine to me, too.

I have used salt water and vinegar to set colors in embroidery floss with varying degrees of success. You can also buy commercial products like Synthropol (I think that is the name) to set color- I've used it for hand-dyed silk and thread with good results. Buying trim and fabric is a crap shoot- the company that manufactures them just wants to SELL and all too often the buyer better caveat all to hell. I've lost track of the number of things I've bought that never looked the same after washing or even dry cleaning. Of course, any more, I refuse to buy anything that must be drycleaned, both for financial and environmental reasons.

I'd say go with the trim like it is unless you just really dislike it yourself.

teela

Try soaking stuff in a mixture of water and Alum. You will loose some dye no matter what but the alum helps make things more colorfast and you can get it in the baking section because its used to make pickles. I've used it on imported stuff from india and other such places.

gwinity

Thanks, ladies. :) The photo doesn't do the damage 'justice', but if you think I can get away with calling it 'vintage', I might give it a go. The worst that can happen is I have to unpick it all, right?

Thanks also for the tips on what to do next time I encounter a situation like this!

belly_dancer

Thanks, ladies. :) The photo doesn't do the damage 'justice', but if you think I can get away with calling it 'vintage', I might give it a go. The worst that can happen is I have to unpick it all, right?

Thanks also for the tips on what to do next time I encounter a situation like this!

I go for the "vintage" looks lots in my costuming... cause even if it looks new when I am finished making it, after 2-3 spins around the dance floor.... :rolleyes: ... lets just say I am hard on my costumes!!!!!