Ask me for music if you want & Music suggestions

Farasha Hanem

Finallyyyyy!!! @______@

MizzNaaa? I fell in love with this song several years ago after watching Rania Bossonis perform to it on one of her instructional DVD's. The name of the song is "Sitt Akull," from the CD, "Alwan Min Al Sharq," by Bassam Ayoub. I bought the CD, but have been hunting and hunting for both the Arabic and English lyrics to it, with no success. Until now, you couldn't even find a sound clip anywhere on the Internet! :( Would you please help? I would be so very grateful.

I had a ridonkulous time trying to upload the song to YouTube. It isn't even the whole thing---the CD version is much longer. This is the edited version Rania performed to:

*sits patiently and waits for the F.B.I. to pound her door down* :confused:

Which leads me to another problem... *starts another thread in the Performance section while continuing to wait for the F.B.I.* :confused:

MizzNaaa

Let me write the Lyrics down for you then, then we could easily translate it. I just need to listen to the song a few times

That's going to take a day or two though, as I am in crunch time at school since the Semester is almost over and our professors are slave driving us.

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Oh, hey, no hurry at all! :D I appreciate your willingness to help! ^^ Thank you so much; best to you on your studies. A million hugs to you! :D

MizzNaaa

الله الله عليكي يا بلد الله الله (الله الله)
x4

في الرقص أنت معلمة من غير كلام
يا أم المزاج في الغناء و الإنسجام
x2

إيه كل ده
عيني علي الرضا
x2

يا أم العيون متبسمة
يا أم الخطاوى الحنينة

الله الله عليكي الله الله
الله يا مرال الله الله
x2

اليلة دي من حظنا
ياما الغزال هيكون هنا
x2

أظهر و بان
قوام قوام
x2

شوية و يمين شوية شمال
شوية و يمين شوية شمال
و الناس هتقول أه يا غزال
أنا بحب الناس تتجمع لما أرقص و تقول يا سلام
يا سلام أه يا سلام
و تشوف الفن و تتسمع أحلي شعر و أحلى كلام
يا كلام أه يا كلام

شوية و يمين شوية شمال
شوية و يمين شوية شمال
و الناس هتقول أه يا مرال

مساء الحب مساء الشوق مساة الفل و الياسمين
وحشتونا يا اهل الذوق
نورتوا شمال و يمين

دي ست الكل حبيبتنا
دي ست الحسن شغلتنا

قولوا معانا قولوا معانا
(something I can't make out at all)
معاكي حلوة سهرتنا

MizzNaaa

First of all let me apologize for those last two words I couldn't make out, but it's almost impossible because the music is way too loud in that part for me to hear what the choir is saying, and since I know what's before them and what's after them I can get the gist.

Anyway, there are a few problems with this lyrics that are going to make it almost impossible to translate literally because if I do that it would make no sense in English.

Songs like these are more for the music than the lyrics. Usually, it's something made specifically for dancers to dance to, and perform to so the lyrics aren't telling something specific.

This one's just compromised of greetings, praises to the dancer's grace referred to as Set Akkull, and ability to dance, then thanking the audience for being around to listen to the music and watch her. Then the dancer saying that she loves to dance so people could praise her abilities and art, and that they will here the most beautiful tunes and the best poetry (in the song) and words.

Then the song goes back to greeting the audience again, then praises the dancer again calling her Set Akull, and saying that she's their beloved and that she's got their attention, and then it urges the audience to say that their soiree is better with the dancer entertaining them.

It basically is broken down like this.

الله الله عليكي يا بلد الله الله (الله الله)
x4
A praise to the country and how beautiful it is.

في الرقص أنت معلمة من غير كلام
يا أم المزاج في الغناء و الإنسجام
x2
This is a praise to the dancer, saying that's she's a Mo'alema (literal translation is teacher or boss) and it's basically saying she's really good at what she does. Then they call her the mother of good mood when it comes to music and harmony or concert. (it's a way arabs refer to listening to music)
Note that when arabs call someone the mother of such and such or father of such and such, they really mean to say that this is something you do a lot and do well. It can be used in a negative light as well as a positive light. This time it's obviously positive

إيه كل ده
عيني علي الرضا
x2
More praise at how beautiful everything is. (Literal translation is 'What is all this? Oh wow at the satisfaction)

يا أم العيون متبسمة
يا أم الخطاوى الحنينة
Again praise to the dancer, she has smiling eyes and gentle steps.

الله الله عليكي الله الله
الله يا مرال الله الله
Again praising the dancer and calling her a doe or deer, which is an Arab expression for gracefulness.

اليلة دي من حظنا
ياما الغزال هيكون هنا
This night is part of our luck, we're going to have the doe (deer) here. Referring to the graceful dancer.

أظهر و بان
قوام قوام
Come and show yourself, quickly quickly (urging the dancer to come out)

شوية و يمين شوية شمال
شوية و يمين شوية شمال
و الناس هتقول أه يا غزال
أنا بحب الناس تتجمع لما أرقص و تقول يا سلام
يا سلام أه يا سلام
يا كلام أه يا كلام
It literally says: A bit to the left a bit to the right(twice),
and people are going to exclaim and say "Oh what a doe"
(That's supposedly the dancer talking. )
I like it when people gather around when I dance and exclaim at how good I am (again dancer)
(and repeats the exclamation twice more.)

يا كلام أه يا كلام

And people could see the art and listen to the best poetry and words (again the dancer talking)

شوية و يمين شوية شمال
شوية و يمين شوية شمال
و الناس هتقول أه يا مرال
This is a repetition of the "A little bit to the left a little bit to the right" up until "And people will say "OH what a doe"

مساء الحب مساء الشوق مساة الفل و الياسمين
وحشتونا يا اهل الذوق
نورتوا شمال و يمين
This is a greeting to the audience, instead of saying good evening, they said have an evening of love, an evening of Foll and Jasmine (it's an arabic expression, all meaning have a great evening) You've lit the place with your glow left and right.

دي ست الكل حبيبتنا
دي ست الحسن شغلتنا

The dancer (Sit Akkull) is our beloved, she intrigued us (Got our attention?)

قولوا معانا قولوا معانا
(something I can't make out at all)
معاكي حلوة سهرتنا

Say with us, something something, with you our soiree is great. (I guess that would be the choir and the audience talking to the dancer)

But yeah as you see, the lyrics is just there as a filler, it's more about the music.

Farasha Hanem

:shok: Wow, THANK you a million times over, MizzNaaa!!! :D *hugshugshugshugs!* You don't know how much I appreciate your hard work! :D

I'm a bit worried about the lyrics now---does the dancer in the song seem a bit...well, conceited? :think: :confused: I know if I dance to this song in front of a non-Arabic audience, it shouldn't be a problem, but if I ever have the good fortune to ever dance for an Arabic audience, I don't want them to think I'm stuck up or self-centered. :(

MOST especially if I don live up to the expectations of the lyrics. :confused:

MizzNaaa

Oh no no, not conceited really.

It's difficult to explain, when people watch you dance to this song, they'll most likely not even notice the lyrics much. The focus is always on you, and the translation there is to help you make lyric-appropriate gestures if you want.

I would say, flirt with the audience with this song. Not in a sexualized way or anything, but interact with them a bit, a welcoming gesture in the appropriate bits, a bit of an impressive move on the bits where the dancer is praised...that kind of thing.

As for living up to the expectations bit. I would say; practice practice practice, you will live up to their expectation so long as you're confident with your abilities :)

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Thank you again, MizzNaaa, you're a treasure not only because of your knowledge and cultural background, but most of all, for your kind and helpful heart. Thank you for starting this thread! ^^

MizzNaaa

Aw *hugs* pft, it's nothing really :)

Good luck with your performances and let me know if I could help in any other way

Shanazel

Are there songs people use regularly that are inappropriate for dance, either because of words or context?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I have one that's been bugging me for ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-bDGLiiZoU

(apologies for the cheesey music video).

Sometimes I see this listed as "Tal Entezary" which I know as a Mohamed Abdel Wahab song, and to me I don't think it sounds the same. The Four Cats were a Lebanese pop group that used to record old Feyrouz songs, so I didn't think they'd wander into Wahab territory.

Can you just (in general) give me an idea of what this song is about? And is it just stupid pop, or is there any depth at all? It's a catchy song to listen to in the car, and fun to play with. Thanks!
-Amanda

Manar

meya meya HELP PLEASE

Hi!

I'm a belly dancer from Montreal. I want to start a choreography for "meya meya" by tarek el sheikh but I can't find either the lyrics in Arabic or the translation in English.

Do you know of a link to the lyrics in Arabic? I can sort of figure out the meaning if I have the lyrics in Arabic... If not are you able to write out the Lyrics for me?

Please help me...

Manar :pray:

MizzNaaa

Aziyade, this isn't the same one as Abdul Wahab's one, no. I can't really tell much about what the song is about per se, mainly because it's sung in Lebanese slang and my understanding of other arab slang is not very good. It's common here, we Egyptians are usually quite understood by other parts of the middle east, but it doesn't work the other way around most of the time.

Anyway, I'll listen to the song a few times and research the lyrics more and I'll let you know what I could come up with.

@Manar, I LOVE THAT SONG lol!

And yeah, sure, I'll write the arabic/English lyrics for you, it'll have to wait till monday as today and tomorrow life's gonna be pretty hectic for me.

Manar

yes I know I LOVE THAT SONG!!! I heard it the first time and I knew...

take your time whenever you can... I really really appreciate you help!
only I wish I could repay somehow ;)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

MizzNaa, thank you -- I keep forgetting that they sing in Lebanese, and don't worry about listening to it. They have fun music to listen to, but I don't think it's anything I really feel compelled to dance to :)

BUT -- I do have a request. I am COMPLETELY in love with this song:

3mal Y3aksny - Amynh

from this album
Album Aghany Fylm Kbaryh 2008 eGexa Music Collection Download Full Album MP3, Listen Online, Lyrics, Video Clips on eGexa Music Arabia

and I am dying to get my hands on more music like this -- legally.

Can you tell from this website what the artist's name is, what the album is actually called, and maybe do you know a place where I can get this CD?

I know it's a lot, but ... I really like this!

Oh, and I assume it's okay for dancing to, since Tito taught to this at one of his workshops, but can you give me a general overview of what the song is about? THANK YOU!!!!

Wait - I might have just answered the first part of my own question. Is the artist Amina?

http://arabia.mp3too.com/en/artist/amina-10765709/

THANKS!

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

One more :

Can you tell me what this means:

Al3wdh Aly Alhnd

Does it mean Return to India? It's the title of an Elissar song, and the song is really nothing remotely Indian sounding.

Last edited:

MizzNaaa

I'm so sorry for the delay you guys, I barely spend anytime on the forum due to finals and real-life mayhem so yeah.

@Aziyade that does sound like Return to India, but I can't be 100% sure without reading the arabic words.

As for the artist, it is Amina and I've been searching relentlessly for a place for you to buy her songs, but I can't find anything, sadly. As for the song you linked, it's from a movie released in 2008 called Cabaret. The album's sold here I'm sure but I don't know if you'll be able to find it online. However I know of one site that legally offers them for free, the site tried to be our equivalent of Netflix mashed up with Itunes but failed and they decided to let people download what they have for free now (I think they'll be closing down soon) but yeah this is done with the publishers legal consent and everything.

Mazika - Amina_Ya Wad Enta Basa <--- that's the song you just linked me.

This is her latest album http://www.mazika.com/en/musicfree/1067. Again available for free. I think it's because publishers know that no matter what they do their songs here are pirated online so they allowed Mazika to make that site and and try and sell it online, which also didn't work so they let them do that for free. Their albums sell pretty well here anyway. So yeah it's legal to download the songs found on that site, as long as it's obviously for personal use (as in don't make copies and sell them :p which you won't, so you're good)

As for the song, Amal Ye'akesny

(Amina is supposedly talking to the guy she likes who's being coy (Playing hard to get) with her)

Don't be coy with me,
Or I'll turn this against you
I'll yell and make people gather around
And I'll tell them you were harassing me
I'll tell them you were trying to kiss me
and also trying to grab my hand

And if you keep neglecting me
I'll say you were trying to steal from me
You stole my heart then took off running,
it's either you and me (who are going to win this argument)

If you are gentle with me
I'll give you my eyes (it's an expression here, meaning I'll give you all I've got)
And I'll make you happy ( Hadala'ak...that's also the closest translation I could come up with)
If you start looking up (Looking for other women...better then her? I think, not sure haven't seen the movie)
I'll go up, and I'll push you back down
And I'll say that you did...and did and did
and extended your hand, trying to grasp mine (it's considered inappropriate for a man to try and touch a woman in any way in public if she wasn't his wife/fiance/sister/mother..etc.)

Boy, give me a look
Or even half a look
My heart's melting
Or even just a peek
(and then she repeats this again)

If you're going to play hard to get, do it gently
I'm tired, I'm not comfortable
Boy, be gentle with me for even just a little
Ever since I loved you, I've seen no comfort (As in, she's had to chase him ever since she fell in love with him, the cultural aspect of this is very difficult to translate)

Why are you ignoring and neglecting me?
I love you, boy
And if you keep ignoring me like this
Do you know, boy, what I'll do?

I'll say you're harassing me
...etc. (repeat the first part of the song until And I'll say that you did...and did and did
and extended your hand, trying to grasp mine)

Monica

As for the song, Amal Ye'akesny...(snip)
Shukran AWI, MizzNaaa!! I am a fan of the singer Amina, and I love this song in particular. I got the gist of the words from my (should-be-more-fabulous-for-how-long-I've-been-studying-Arabic) Arabic and some from my (totally fabulous Egyptian Arabic) tutor, but this is just GREAT. Thanks to you (and thanks to Aziyade for asking about it).