Audition Coming ... So Nervous!

sansa

On Thursday I'm auditioning for my instructor's belly dance performance troupe. I am SO nervous. Two years experience is required to audition; I have 8 months. 8 months! Back in the summer my instructor said, "You're coming to auditions, right?" I was stunned and think I stammered some answer or another. Then after our performance back at the beginning of the month one of the other students in my class, a new member to the troupe, mentioned to me that I should come. So obviously the instructor and at least one other person has confidence that I can do this. Only problem: I'm not so sure.

I've watched videos of the troupe. Some (well, many) of the skills I know I don't have yet. I do know that anyone who is in the troupe is required to take a specific more-advanced class every week before the troupe class, so I know the skills will be taught to me eventually. I'm just concerned because I really, REALLY want to be good at belly dance. I want to have solid technique. The more advanced class will include zills and veils and possibly other things.

Every time I think about it I get nervous again and my belly rolls - the inside, not the outside. ;)

So I'm going but I'm going on the confidence of other people. I wonder if that's smart.

Darshiva

If they think you can do it, you can. Just remind yourself to believe it.

If you can, find out what the audition requirements are so you know what to practice beforehand to put yourself in the best light.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
You can do it! Your teacher wouldn't have invited you if she didn't think you were right for the troupe:D We are always hardest on ourselves. Also congratulations on being asked to audition. Do you know any of the girls in the troupe? maybe you could ask what the audition involves if you. Good luck & go get that spot:D
~Mosaic

Shanazel

So I'm going but I'm going on the confidence of other people. I wonder if that's smart.

In this case , yes, since the people with confidence in you have gained that confidence from watching you dance and one is your teacher. Good luck and congratulations on coming so far in only eight months. I'm sure you'll do great. :clap:

sansa

In this case , yes, since the people with confidence in you have gained that confidence from watching you dance and one is your teacher. Good luck and congratulations on coming so far in only eight months. I'm sure you'll do great. :clap:
Then I'll try to make their confidence MY confidence. Thanks so much.

You can do it! Your teacher wouldn't have invited you if she didn't think you were right for the troupe:D We are always hardest on ourselves. Also congratulations on being asked to audition. Do you know any of the girls in the troupe? maybe you could ask what the audition involves if you. Good luck & go get that spot:D
~Mosaic
Oh for sure! Look up "hard on yourself" in the dictionary and there's a big ol' picture of me! (This is unlikely to change after all these years! But I'll keep trying.) Thanks so much.

Oh for sure! Look up "hard on yourself" in the dictionary and there's a big ol' picture of me! (This is unlikely to change after all these years! But I'll keep trying.) Thanks so much.
Oh, I forgot to mention, I do know a couple of girls in the troupe. One isn't in my class and the one that was has now moved over to the more advanced class. I was hoping to see her tonight. So I did ask the teacher what I need to know about the audition or what I should try to work on and she said not to worry about it. So I won't ... HA HA HA! Couldn't even get that sentence out!

Thanks, Darshiva!

Exciting! You can do eeeet! Best of luck! :D
Thank you, Kasha!

Last edited by a moderator:

sansa

Ta-Da! I Did It!

So I am now a member of an actual belly dance troupe! Audition went well. And nope ... couldn't do everything (those darn undulations! - which I practice incessantly ... at HALF the tempo I needed them tonight! :shok:) But it was very fun. There was only one other person there and she's returning after being away awhile.

You know, there's a bit of comfort knowing I'll be the newest and least experienced in the class. I feel that will allow me some leeway while I try to figure things out. And I'm proud of myself. I've got to tell you very honestly: a year ago I never would have figured this! YAY!

(Still nervous but that's sort of my thing.)

Thanks to all of you who were encouraging!

sansa

Thanks Everyone!

So funny! I actually sprained MY BEHIND, so SO looking forward to the first ensemble class this week!:lol: