Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Excuse my newbie-ness, but what's ITS? Judging by the OP, something-Turkish-Style?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AyaKara View Post
    Excuse my newbie-ness, but what's ITS? Judging by the OP, something-Turkish-Style?
    ITS = Improvisational Tribal Style
    ATS = American Tribal Style

Originally, most ITS groups used the term ATS, but the creator and founder of ATS asked that the label be limited to only variations of the style approved through her format, so out of respect for her intellectual property and wishes, most groups performing in an improvisational tribal style, but not using American tribal style combinations, switched to using ITS as their style identifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mahsati_janan View Post
    ITS = Improvisational Tribal Style
    ATS = American Tribal Style

Originally, most ITS groups used the term ATS, but the creator and founder of ATS asked that the label be limited to only variations of the style approved through her format, so out of respect for her intellectual property and wishes, most groups performing in an improvisational tribal style, but not using American tribal style combinations, switched to using ITS as their style identifier.
    Thank you for the information! But, isn't ATS already improvisational?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and no depending on how you look at it. ATS/ITS are both group improvisational styles where you learn combinations, cues, and stage patterns. The improvisational nature of these dances is based on a group of dancers following a leader who cues these combinations and stage patterns instead of individual movements being improvised. They also switch leaders, but whoever is leading is giving the other dancers the cues for which combination to do. This type of improv uses learned combinations that are re-ordered and cued based on the leader and performance. The type of improv used in solo forms of belly dance generally is not combination based and the dancer can choose any movement in his/her vocabulary. Both are improv, but they follow different types of improvisation.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is the point. When ATS expanded other "Tribes" didn't just stick to the cues and patterns that Carolena Nericcio had created. So when she requested that those who were using a different curriculum not use the name ATS as that was her brand, ITS or Improvisational Tribal Style was the natural name that followed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Mahsati & Ariadne! I feel like I learn more & more everyday that I'm here thank you so much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12