Figure 8s with shimmies

MiamiDancer

Any advice for shimmying while doing figure 8s (forward, backward, up, and down)? I seem to having problems shimmying with one leg at a time, and I think that's causing my difficulty. Thanks ladies!

Suhad

I'm sure some of the other more experienced dancers can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems easier to me if I use my obliques mainly to pull the hip up while still shimmying both legs. Don't get me wrong, that is one of the layering moves I'm still working on, but it seems to work better for me that way than doing the one leg thing -- I look like I'm having a seizure when I do it that way, and it just feels wrong to me.

Recnadocir

My take on layering, is that one of the movements, at least, has to be on "automatic." In my case this is the (glute squeeze) shimmies, because I've practiced them so much. So not thinking about the shimmies, frees my focus for the figure 8's.

slinks

Freeze shimmy is the way Ansuya teaches on her Lavish Layers dvd.... rather than do a knee driven shimmy use the quad muscles to shimmy... vibrate them... the quads are the muscles on the top of your thighs... if you tighten the quads your whole leg will vibrate and you get a freeze shimmy.... add the knees EVER so slightly..... hope this helps