Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfyre View Post
    I've looked for teachers nearby, one teacher says she teaches "Baladi, classical Egyptian, Turkish, Lebanese, Tunisian,
    Algerian, pop Arabic, Polynesian, Tribal, Indian Bollywood" To me that sounds weird that she is adept in SO many styles but maybe thats just me, should I be wary of someone who teaches lots of different styles? Should I be looking for someone who focuses on one or two styles?
    Yes, you should be wary.

Post Thanks / Like

I've looked for teachers nearby, one teacher says she teaches "Baladi, classical Egyptian, Turkish, Lebanese, Tunisian,
    Algerian, pop Arabic, Polynesian, Tribal, Indian Bollywood" To me that sounds weird that she is adept in SO many styles but maybe thats just me, should I be wary of someone who teaches lots of different styles? Should I be looking for someone who focuses on one or two styles?
    No-one can do all that well. Avoid her like the plague.
    Also, could any of you lovely ladies recommend me some videos of what you consider good egyptian dancers? I saw a performance the other night of a dancer doing Raqs Sharqi....and I found it pretty awful, I actually felt a bit embarrassed for the girl.
    If it was po-faced and cold probably Hilal's interpretation of raqs sharqi.

There's been a few threads on this. I like Fifi (although she does beledi too), Lucy, some of Dina, Naimea Akef if you want old stuff. Don't forget Aida Nour - although it maybe hard to find footage - she has been a regular teacher at our intensive in Brisbane and live she is to die for - even retired.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12