Gyspsy Caravan drills- any online?

Birdlight

Hi lovelies

Anyone know if there are any youtube videos or other free resources for practising Gypsy Caravan style ITS? There are tons for ATS on Youtube but I've searched and can only get the trailers for Paulette's DVD's when trying to find GC drills.

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

ana_bat

Free drills online? None that I know of. The only (and obvious) thing I can think of is just finding performances by Gypsy Caravan and GC style teachers/ troupes, and doing your best in observing and note taking.

With all due respect, and I don't mean to sound rude or presumptuous, but if you do come across "free resources" in the future, try to stick to one's that have been released by Paulette Rees-Denis herself. Undercutting sucks, and It seems a little unfair and unethical for other people to provide free learning materials that are based on her work, when they are not the person responsible for the dance style.

I apologize if I sound presumptuous, but I wanted to chip in my 2 cents. Good luck in your learning endeavors and have fun :)

Birdlight

I do take a class, from someone who was trained by Paulette herself, so don't worry, I'm not trying to take away from the dance or the creator! I see where you are coming from, but I'n not a baddy after freebies, just a dedicated student wanting to practise!

I just want to find ways of practising drills at home, and I find it's nice to have someone talk you through drills at home. And as there are so many good ATS ones online I was hoping for similar, as I can't afford both to take a class and buy the DVD's, sadly, or I would do. I think going to a real live class takes priority.

I hope I didn't offend by asking this. I just want to learn and be the best dancer I can be, but don't have the funds to purchase everything direct from source as would be my preference.

Ariadne

Do you have or know someone who has a DVD recorder (or a computer eye will work if there is nothing else)? Why not ask your teacher if you can quickly record her doing a few drills she would like you to work on between classes?

ana_bat

And no worries Birdlight! You aren't being innapropriate for asking your question, I just go into "public service announcement" mode, more frequently than I should! :D

I think its wonderful that you're so dedicated and it makes me happy to see people who aren't trying to take the "easy route" when they embark on learning something. Kudos! :clap:

Where I live I don't have a live instructor at all for anything ITS or GC related so you're super lucky to have a live teacher! Ariadne has a great idea, and I don't think it'd hurt to ask your teacher one bit. Good luck!

Birdlight

Ah fantastic, yes, I will ask her if I can film some. I should have thought of that! Honestly, my brain has been in work mode for the last two weeks, and when not at work I don't think it works at all :-D

I do feel lucky to have a real live teacher, DVD's are good but there's nothing like someone telling you if your hands are right. I do film myself at home as well, which helps- I'm such a nerd!

Thanks ladies, and I'm glad I didn't offend.