Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afghani Zills

Post Thanks / Like

Default Afghani Zills

Hey there

I have been using Saroyan Arabesque (brass) zills for the past year or so. They are ok but I dont love their sound although I can't quite put my finger on why that is

I also find them a little small, so I have been looking in to other Saroyans. I am liking the sound of the brass Afghani's and brass Ghawazee's, but then I liked the sound of the Arabesques online til I got them and played them.

Unfotunately I'm not near anywhere that will sell them so I cant try them, and no one I know has any I could have a go of. So have any of you used either of these zills before? Ad if so what were your thoughts on them? Any feedback would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to buy finger cymbals if you can't hear them! I checked the Saroyan web site, and they have sound files. Here is the "About" page, and you can get to their online store from there. Happy hunting! About Saroyan Mastercrafts

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using the standard Arabesques or the larger Arabesque II?

I have both the Arabesque I and II and the Afghani (actually - I have almost all of the Saroyan zills so that I can use them for different music/venues or to let students hear before they order). The Afghani are a lower tone that is a bit more mellow, so I use them for teaching a lot, but the Arabesques tend to be a little higher with more ring to them. One reason that I teach with the afghani zills more is that it is easier for students (and me) to hear the differences in what they are playing (generally on higher-pitched cymbals) and what I am playing (generally on lower-pitched cymbals for class).

Post Thanks / Like

I should have mentioned that I have listened to the sound files on the Saroyan website, just can't fully decide which zills I like best so I was looking for some input from people who have used the two types i am interested in.

Mahsati, I have been using the Arabesque I's, sorry should have specified that !!

I think I am looking for a more mellow tone so maybe the brass Afghani's would be a good choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfyre View Post
    I think I am looking for a more mellow tone so maybe the brass Afghani's would be a good choice?
    If you are looking for larger zills with a mellow tone, I would suggest either the Afghani or the Grecian. Fair warning in case you want to blend with a group- if the other people in your class or troupe are playing higher toned cymbals, your playing will be very evident. I've also found that the lower tones work best for certain music and venues, but in a very noisy situation or with certain music the higher ones carry and sound better. I guess I am making a case for having at least 2 sets of finger cymbals - one higher and one lower.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes perfect sense Mahsati I will probably go for the Afghani's I think so then I'd have a mellow toned pair and a higher tone in my Arabesques.

I am planning on dancing in a group eventually but unfortunately I cant yet as I dont know anyone who does ATS where I live, but hopefully I'll be able to soon enough

Post Thanks / Like

I have only two sets of Saroyan zills, one a Turkish student set, and I think the other is the Grecian set (I can't remember offhand, and at work atm). As I was reading your post, I wondered if the thing you can't put your finger on is the pitch of your zills. If you detect a "dissonance" in the pitch, that might be what's bothering you. In other words, one zill on one finger might be a half-step higher or lower in pitch than the zill on your other finger. Try switching the zills on your fingers until you hear a clear, one-tone pitch, then mark them with nail polish on the inside so you can tell which pairs go together. Of course, there's a chance that none of your zills are the same in pitch, but experiment around to see if you get a sound that you like. I hope my suggestion makes sense. If not, hopefully someone else who understands what I'm trying to say can explain it better.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 11-01-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Farasha, don't worry, you made sense

I had a little play around with my Arabesques and they are all perfectly matched in pitch (also got my dad who's a musician to double check just in case). I think the thing I cant quite put my finger on is maybe the fact that they are a slighter higher tone than I like, and sometimes I have trouble hearing my music over them due to the high tone.

I think I'll go for the Afghani's or Grecians so I have a higher tone pair and a lower tone pair. I have a feeling there will be many sets of zills in this house soon enough!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. I am thrilled when I go to a bellydance event and the vendors have zills that you can "try on" for sound. That's how I found my Turquoise - boy, are they loud! But that works perfectly for the stage and when the music is played really high.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Afghanis! They are big and loud...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast