Thread: Veils?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Make sure its an organza, not a tulle!

I made that mistake once....

Yes organza is great, I got heaps of half circular organza ones

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    But veil I am sort of new to it, i did do a workshop on it a few years ago, but I never got the grasp of it and so in class now I am just as hopeless, but I have to focus on it if I am to master it. My biggest problem in class last week was the basic movement of switching the thing up at the back so it wraps around the arms, it kept getting caught on my butt and going nowhere, then it was switching the thing from one side of the body to the other where I couldn't work out how to do it and kept getting my arms behind my head where they would go nowhere. So the choreography I was laughing my head off all the way through it. The lower movements, no problem it's just part B, what to do with the arms that I struggle with now.

But I will get there.... eventually.
    May I suggest that you practice without the veil (miming exactly all of the veil movements) and once you are very confident with it, start practicing with the veil. That way you learn the choreography without the stress of learning veil at the same time.

Also, ask your teacher to cover the moves you are unsure of. That's what you're paying her for!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

But I will get there.... eventually.
    Of course you will - every veil dancer on the planet has gone through what you're going through right now - entirely normal. Glad you can see the humor in the whole thing - you'll go far...

Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys talking about silk organza? That stuff is super stiff and I don't know how it could be used for veils

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Are you guys talking about silk organza? That stuff is super stiff and I don't know how it could be used for veils
    It really depends on the specific fabric and use, but there are organzas that work nicely for veils. I have a couple of silk organzas and a couple of unidentified organzas that I use on occasion. They were initially more stiff, but eased into a better flow. Dahlal has some here: Half Circle Organza Veil for Belly Dance - Dahlal Internationale Store

Post Thanks / Like

But veil I am sort of new to it, i did do a workshop on it a few years ago, but I never got the grasp of it and so in class now I am just as hopeless, but I have to focus on it if I am to master it. My biggest problem in class last week was the basic movement of switching the thing up at the back so it wraps around the arms, it kept getting caught on my butt and going nowhere, then it was switching the thing from one side of the body to the other where I couldn't work out how to do it and kept getting my arms behind my head where they would go nowhere. So the choreography I was laughing my head off all the way through it. The lower movements, no problem it's just part B, what to do with the arms that I struggle with now.
    Is it just you? I do several classes on plain technique before even considering doing a choreography. Same as any dance: technique - combinations - sequences. Then once the class has an idea of the shape of the dance we drill individual moves. Lots.

With veil I am even more likely to stop and do individual critiques at the end (or in the middle of) the drill. This is because people cannot see what they are doing - but I can say "X, your hand is drooping - lift it up (Y, you do the same) - now try again" People watch and learn from others' mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like

...switching the thing up at the back so it wraps around the arms, it kept getting caught on my butt and going nowhere, then it was switching the thing from one side of the body to the other where I couldn't work out how to do it and kept getting my arms behind my head where they would go nowhere.
    Poly chiffon is quite friendly for the flip round the arms move and slips over other fabrics OK, though not so much on a super-dangly hip scarf. I heard somewhere that silk sticks to velvet/velour but don't know if it's true.

I can totally relate to getting stuck in a veil. When I'm learning, if it works it just works, but if it doesn't it is baffling trying to pin down why I'm in a knot or have got a twist in my veil but no one else has. . Then either it suddenly starts working (how??!!) or I have to pull the move to bits to see how it works.

Zorba is right, you have to laugh. Especially when you see yourself in the mirror and it looks like you are putting a duvet cover on the washing line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Make sure its an organza, not a tulle!

Have you run it through the washing machine several times?
    It's organza and I've washed it twice now. Do I just need to wash it a time or two more?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Poly chiffon is quite friendly for the flip round the arms move and slips over other fabrics OK, though not so much on a super-dangly hip scarf. I heard somewhere that silk sticks to velvet/velour but don't know if it's true.

I can totally relate to getting stuck in a veil. When I'm learning, if it works it just works, but if it doesn't it is baffling trying to pin down why I'm in a knot or have got a twist in my veil but no one else has. . Then either it suddenly starts working (how??!!) or I have to pull the move to bits to see how it works.

Zorba is right, you have to laugh. Especially when you see yourself in the mirror and it looks like you are putting a duvet cover on the washing line.
    Yes, that is the mental picture I got but with me it was trying to put the duvet cover on the duvet where I go inside the cover with the duvet to get it into the corners, but luckily no mirrors with this class or I would be laughing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    May I suggest that you practice without the veil (miming exactly all of the veil movements) and once you are very confident with it, start practicing with the veil. That way you learn the choreography without the stress of learning veil at the same time.

Also, ask your teacher to cover the moves you are unsure of. That's what you're paying her for!
    My problem is I am directionally stupid I have to follow the instructor behind them to get the movement right and in that learning process I have to visually look where my arms are as I don't have the intuition to know where they are and I am also slow in learning, which is an annoyance for the rest of the group I understand, especially as I missed the three hour long workshop on the basic veil and the two weekly lessons before last week. So I am coming at it late but I am determined as I am not going to let the veil beat me again, (I did a couple of years back), now I have more or less sorted out the natural use of the lower body movements.

And though I was reluctant in the past, I will after I have the veil sorted out have a go at the wings and see what damage I can do with them.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 11-22-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: merge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    It's organza and I've washed it twice now. Do I just need to wash it a time or two more?
    Hit it a few more times! If it still doesn't work, then I'm guessing that particular organza isn't tameable...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast