Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad Justa Mom trying to find inner goddess

So let me say I know that since I don't go to classes that's my skills will never be as good . But as a lonely mom with no friends near by I need to do something that makes me feel like a woman. Instead of a maid to clean a house and a lunch lady to serve sandwiches and I need to get on my feet a little more. I do yoga and pilates and other workouts I just wanted to try something new. I'm looking for advice and possibly some one to talk to about bellydanceing and how it really makes you Feel.. great! Id go to classes but the closes one is 4 hours away! Plus finding babysitter for 3 kids under 5 is tough. So in open to ideas plus any suggestions on dvds or books. I have great resect for people who learn the right way and proformers. My favorites are Sadie, Zoe Jakes, Leila, rachel brice. I do like neon but mostly I like tribal and gypsy style though it ALL very lovely.
    Last edited by Bananabelly; 11-19-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: wanted to give more info

Post Thanks / Like

Well jump in and join a discussion! All we do here is talk.

With the favs you listed have you considered getting Rachel Brice's Serpentine - Belly Dance with Rachel Brice or Zoe Jakes' From A to Zoe - 4 disc tribal fusion set ?

Post Thanks / Like

Or online classes, at Datura you have a wide range of styles and topics:

Online Belly Dance Classes, Yoga & Pilates | Datura Online

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum. Even though you can't attend classes, it is good that you are motivated to teach yourself bellydance. Do check out Dunyah's suggestion of Online classes. Ansuya also has online classes Ansuya – Bellydance Lessons Online
    This blog is quite good, Belly dance classes online, which ones are worth watching, maybe check that out Free online belly dance classes – which ones are worth watching? « Jade Belly Dance

You may also find our list of various DVDs helpful http://bellydanceforums.net/instruct...onal-dvds.html
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! Your profile seems to suggest you're in southern Illinois - are you anywhere near Carbondale or Belleville?

Anyway, go ahead and start conversations on whatever belly dance topics interest you, and I'm sure you'll find many folks happy to join in.

You might enjoy exploring my web site, which is full of information to keep you busy reading: All About Belly Dancing, by Shira

Post Thanks / Like

Heya!! Where in So Il are you? I'm in Southern IN Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I'm new here, too.... so, welcome! And I'm also a big fan of Rachel Brice and Zoe Jakes.

I haven't checked out any DVDs yet, but there are also a lot of good, short instructional videos on YouTube. If you just search for bellydance 101 or beginner bellydance a lot shows up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlorainMA View Post
    Hello! I'm new here, too.... so, welcome!
    Welcome to YOU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by FlorainMA View Post
    There are also a lot of good, short instructional videos on YouTube. If you just search for bellydance 101 or beginner bellydance a lot shows up.
    It's true, there are a bunch of instructional shorts on youtube. But you have to be a bit careful with youtube stuff - a lot of the people who "teach" stuff on youtube are barely more than beginners themselves. So while I might consider specific instructors to be qualified and capable, I've seen a lot of youtube "instruction" that shows poor technique, bad posture, incorrect information about belly dance history, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to you both!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Welcome to YOU, too!

It's true, there are a bunch of instructional shorts on youtube. But you have to be a bit careful with youtube stuff - a lot of the people who "teach" stuff on youtube are barely more than beginners themselves. So while I might consider specific instructors to be qualified and capable, I've seen a lot of youtube "instruction" that shows poor technique, bad posture, incorrect information about belly dance history, etc.
    I'm glad that I saw this and another trail on YouTube videos! Definitely going to be more careful at which ones I check out/pay attention to. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast