Justa Mom trying to find inner goddess

Bananabelly

So let me say I know that since I don't go to classes that's my skills will never be as good . But as a lonely mom with no friends near by I need to do something that makes me feel like a woman. Instead of a maid to clean a house and a lunch lady to serve sandwiches and I need to get on my feet a little more. I do yoga and pilates and other workouts I just wanted to try something new. I'm looking for advice and possibly some one to talk to about bellydanceing and how it really makes you Feel.. great! Id go to classes but the closes one is 4 hours away! Plus finding babysitter for 3 kids under 5 is tough. So in open to ideas plus any suggestions on dvds or books. I have great resect for people who learn the right way and proformers. My favorites are Sadie, Zoe Jakes, Leila, rachel brice. I do like neon but mostly I like tribal and gypsy style though it ALL very lovely.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. Even though you can't attend classes, it is good that you are motivated to teach yourself bellydance. Do check out Dunyah's suggestion of Online classes. Ansuya also has online classes Ansuya – Bellydance Lessons Online
This blog is quite good, Belly dance classes online, which ones are worth watching, maybe check that out Free online belly dance classes – which ones are worth watching? « Jade Belly Dance

You may also find our list of various DVDs helpful http://bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/14593-instructional-dvds.html
~Mosaic

shiradotnet

Welcome to the forum! Your profile seems to suggest you're in southern Illinois - are you anywhere near Carbondale or Belleville?

Anyway, go ahead and start conversations on whatever belly dance topics interest you, and I'm sure you'll find many folks happy to join in.

You might enjoy exploring my web site, which is full of information to keep you busy reading: All About Belly Dancing, by Shira

FlorainMA

Hello! :) I'm new here, too.... so, welcome! And I'm also a big fan of Rachel Brice and Zoe Jakes.

I haven't checked out any DVDs yet, but there are also a lot of good, short instructional videos on YouTube. If you just search for bellydance 101 or beginner bellydance a lot shows up. :)

shiradotnet

Hello! :) I'm new here, too.... so, welcome!

Welcome to YOU, too!

There are also a lot of good, short instructional videos on YouTube. If you just search for bellydance 101 or beginner bellydance a lot shows up.

It's true, there are a bunch of instructional shorts on youtube. But you have to be a bit careful with youtube stuff - a lot of the people who "teach" stuff on youtube are barely more than beginners themselves. So while I might consider specific instructors to be qualified and capable, I've seen a lot of youtube "instruction" that shows poor technique, bad posture, incorrect information about belly dance history, etc.

FlorainMA

Welcome to YOU, too!

It's true, there are a bunch of instructional shorts on youtube. But you have to be a bit careful with youtube stuff - a lot of the people who "teach" stuff on youtube are barely more than beginners themselves. So while I might consider specific instructors to be qualified and capable, I've seen a lot of youtube "instruction" that shows poor technique, bad posture, incorrect information about belly dance history, etc.

I'm glad that I saw this and another trail on YouTube videos! Definitely going to be more careful at which ones I check out/pay attention to. :) Thank you!

Jade Forest

more bellydancing mum advice

As a mum also living in a country area, I can totally understand your situation. It may be worth asking around and being really sure there are no classes closer than 4 hours away, sometimes they are poorly advertised and are only small - its surprising where you can find experienced belly dancers, but I get the babysitting issue too. As your kids grow you may have more options, my youngest loves to belly dance and comes to class with me.
I agree with the suggestions above, this forum is great for info as is shira's extensive site.
I am a dvd fanatic, there are so many great titles these days. Most have promo video clips to let you get an idea if the dvd is what you are interested in. Sign up to labels newsletters to take advantage of the sales eg Cheeky girls (label) just had a 40% off sale.
The whole online lesson area is burgeoning and there are more and more programs available. Powhow is interesting because you can get real time teaching just like you were in class (that's the platform ansuya uses but there are other dancers on there too if her style is not what you are after).
Buy yourself at least one coin belt so that you feel like a real dancer (plus little kids are fascinated by them) - even buy yourself a simple costume to practice in if you have the money. Its much easier to feel feminine in costume than it is standing in front of the tv in shorts, t-shirt, and running shoes. (Also install a mirror near your tv - you are essentially your own teacher so you need to watch what you are doing)

Hey thanks for mentioning my blog Mosaic! I try to write on all topics but have a strong bend towards helping dancers that are in rural, remote and country areas. I welcome guest bloggers if anyone is interested!