Q for Cassandra (MissVega)....

Farasha Hanem

Hi, Cassie! This song has been under my skin for the past few years, and I'm dying to dance to it! :D I absolutely love it, and was wondering if it's appropriate for the Carribean-style fusion you do:

I have the Arabic/Spanish lyrics to the song, as well as the English translation. I don't have them in front of me, but the gist of the song is that a guy falls in love with a girl from a different culture (I think it's Arabic guy/Carribean girl). I vaguely remember the English translation saying something about a "sand mermaid." I can find the lyrics if need be.

The song does mention different countries and cultures ("Panema, Borea," etc. etc.), so I'm thinking that I should pay hommage to the dances that represent these cultures. I've bought some instructional DVD's on a few Latin dances, but in the back of my mind, I feel like I should be well-versed in these dances before trying to fuse them to bellydance if I don't want to look like a ninny. :confused: Do you have any advice for me?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Farasha, PM Cassandra in case she doesn't see this thread Just send the thread link to her with an explanation:D Maybe she is busy and hasn't been on for a while.
~Mosaic

MissVega

Hi, Cassie! This song has been under my skin for the past few years, and I'm dying to dance to it! :D I absolutely love it, and was wondering if it's appropriate for the Carribean-style fusion you do:

I have the Arabic/Spanish lyrics to the song, as well as the English translation. I don't have them in front of me, but the gist of the song is that a guy falls in love with a girl from a different culture (I think it's Arabic guy/Carribean girl). I vaguely remember the English translation saying something about a "sand mermaid." I can find the lyrics if need be.

The song does mention different countries and cultures ("Panema, Borea," etc. etc.), so I'm thinking that I should pay hommage to the dances that represent these cultures. I've bought some instructional DVD's on a few Latin dances, but in the back of my mind, I feel like I should be well-versed in these dances before trying to fuse them to bellydance if I don't want to look like a ninny. :confused: Do you have any advice for me?

Hey Farasha,
So sorry for the delay in replying to you about this. I just got a chance now to read the post:)

It's a reggaeton/arabic mix so I don't see why it couldn't work for fusion. I use reggaeton a fair bit when I do Caribbean fusion. It's interesting because while Hakim sings a lot in it, the actual music is mainly reggaeton. Where were you thinking of performing to it?I think you should absolutely have some fun with it and see how you feel after filming yourself practice to it a couple of times. Feel it out first :)

Farasha Hanem

Thank you very much! :D I hope to perform to it at one of the outdoor art festivals we perform at every year, either in April or October, depending on how well everything comes along. In the meantime, I have a lot of (fun) work ahead of me. Thank you so much again! ^^