Share your odd bd videos

Darshiva

Whoa, bad bellydance for the lose!

Adding this one to the list of 'how not to bellydance' videos for my students!

Jane

I wish the camera work was better. What happened to the dancer & camel dancing puppet video? That one was cute!

Jane

This one not so much. Plays to the worst stereotypes. At least I know who's getting all the restaurant gigs these days. :naghty:

shiradotnet

However, it is still the responsibility of their teacher to address that issue with them before they go on stage. It's part of the costuming talk that happens when they are choosing a costume to wear and getting advice from the teacher on where to get it.

I remember the time I held a dress rehearsal for a recital, and a mother/daughter team showed up in transparent chiffon skirts with NO UNDERWEAR. The poor daughter, probably about 16-17 years old, looked EXTREMELY EMBARRASSED to be dressed that way, and her relief was obvious when I told the mother that this was NOT appropriate, followed by specific comments on what to do instead.

Ever since that, my written guidelines for recital attire include a line item stating that underwear is required under skirts.

After seeing this thread, I'm thinking maybe I need to add a line item saying that if a skirt is see-through, then it MUST have either harem pants or leggings underneath, though I haven't had the problem with my own students...

shiradotnet

I don't have the time to poke around youtube in search of these, but if someone else would like to go on a google treasure hunt:

There's a hilarious comedic bit in which Nadia Gamal dances to the theme song from the television show Bonanza, doing a sort of horse-riding shtick in a deep backbend, with sky-high heels.

There's the clip on which Suhaila Salimpour does her glute squeezes with "These glutes were made for walking..." dubbed in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p3fPy4PtMg

And then there's the excerpt from Delilah's Bellydance Workshop Volume 3 where she demonstrates nauli kriya (yoga abdominal technique for "massaging the inner organs") as a tool for building strength and control in the abdominal muscles. She's NOT proposing that nauli be done as part of a belly dance performance, just teaching it as a tool for conditioning the muscles in preparation for learning ab isolations. But it still merits mention on this thread.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Oh wow, the Bonanza one. About 5.30. Yup, that's odd alright.

Pity it's not great quality video and that someone thought Tabla Cam was a good idea. :mad:

shiradotnet

This does NOT claim to be belly dance (it's the yoga practice known as nauli kriya), but there are SOME belly dancers who use the technique to produce side-to-side belly rolls so it seems worthy of sharing on this thread:

Nauli Kriya - YouTube

Shanazel

I was just thinking that could be a very pretty costume if she'd bothered to wear a skirt with it.

The canes- if it takes you that long to get one balanced on your head you might should rethink the entire idea.