Thread: Back pain

Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes Back pain

Hello everyone- I recently just started belly dancing and i am experiencing a lower back pain when i do certain undulations, for example rolling my chest, etc...

I am thinking perhaps i need to tuck my butt in more, but it feels very uncomfortable. Can you please suggest a posture for best comfort or perhaps it is suppose to hurt when you starts practicing belly dancing? Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Belly dance is not supposed to hurt. Hurt is a message from your body saying "Hey, cut it out! Something is not right!"

Have you got a teacher? She should be able to help you with posture. If you are learning from videos, it will be much more difficult to resolve posture problems. I can describe belly dance posture in twenty five words or less, but it would not be a substitute for someone actually correcting you in person. Is your bottom slightly tucked? Shoulders down and relaxed? chin parallel to the floor? Weight distributed evenly, you aren't leaning to one side or throwing one hip out? Chest lifted?

It may also be a matter of doing movements your body is not yet strong enough for. Begin at the beginning, and don't try to leap directly in to the fancier vocabulary of dance right away. It takes a while to build up belly dance muscles.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 02-01-2007 at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I catch myself doing this periodically, and found two of my SCA girls doing it --

during the undulation, for some reason when we lift our chests, we want to also tip the pelvis forward (sticking the bum out). That puts a stress on the low back muscles.

Try it -- see if that's what's happening to you. Try an undulation while watching yourself in the mirror. The only cure for this is to try and remember to NOT do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestions, the only thing I can add is when your pelvis is slightly tucked your knees should automatically flex in response. This takes the pressure from your lower back and tranfers power and potential lift(for the undulation) to your thighs .
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

If these suggestions don't do enough, you might consider getting a medical exam to see if there is any underlying problem such as spine curvature or even a small fracture or something.

I've gone through Rolfing (very deep tissue massage) and relieved the pain that comes from moderate spine curvature. I've also found hatha yoga and Pilates to be very helpful for correcting chronic conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard from numerous students it feels uncomfortable tucking their pelvis in because they are not used to tucking 'so much', like, it feels they tuck it TOO much. You should try though, it might feel uncomfortable in the beginning but you get used to it, and bend your knees a bit like Yasmine said, it takes a lot of stress off your lower back.
    I also hear from students it starts hurting because they feel the move looking bigger on their teacher than on them. Now I don't know if this is your case also, but this might cause extra strain on lower back muscles as well simply because you're trying too hard to make it look bigger.
    Remember the movement is not supposed to look big or exactly like it looks when your teacher does it, it's supposed to not hurt you and be learned at a pace your body allows.
    here's my two cents, hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sologirl

I found that when I was "trying too hard" my back hurt. As I did more classes and realised that it will take time to stretch and strenghthen the mucles I did smaller, more contained movements and the pain stopped. Many of the muscles we use in BD are seldom stretched and moved in many directions. I know my teacher can do divine movements but she has had several years of experience compared tome. My teacher once said "Baby steps happen also in dancing" and it stuck in my mind. Now I am surprised if someone goes "How do you do that?"

Do have your back checked out though.If you have problems they can be adressed and your teacher may have some tips on compensating for injuries. I found that after a few months of dancing my back problems (which I knew about before) became less bothersome. Probably because of the stronger muscles and better posture.
    Happy shimmying

up north in a waterproof sequin-coverd yurt
    Post Thanks / Like

What they all said before me is great, One more thing is definitely keep your movements smaller to start, that way you don't have to work as hard and you aren't so likely to injure yourself. In undulations too, we use our erectors and our paraspinals and they don't generally move alot. Another possibility is check with your local (gentle) chiropracter. She or he might be able to find some sort of subluxation that is making pain in your back. and definitely get a massage. that's always nice.
    Last edited by sparklyraven; 02-08-2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: can't spel