Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile A Budding Author

Hi...

As the title says, I'm a budding author trying at this moment to gather some information on belly dancing for a story I'm planning.

I love belly dancing but for me it is only as a spectator. You see, my legs and pelvis were broken in a car accident and I have to get around in a wheelchair or on crutches. It will be a few years yet before the doctors figure that I have stopped growing and can get a hip replacement. By that time I'll be 26 years old -- a little old to start learning, I would think but maybe it would be good therapy to help me get my mobility back.

Anyway, I shall be posting questions in various subject areas in these forums. I hope you all can help me find the answers for what I need.

Thank you kindly and I hope to get to know many of you by-and-by.

Ælfscine

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum. Gosh I am sorry to hear you had such a shocking accident, I wish you well for the future. As for 26 being too old to learn bellydancing, not at all, you are never too old I was 55 when I started, I am now 64. My best friend was about 47, now 55, A good friend & bellydance instructor started when she was 37 she is now 51 & I have a few other friends who started in their 40s & 50s and we are all still dancing, so when you are up & about and ready go for it!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. You are never too old to start learning and twenty-six IS NOT OLD!!!! My oldest beginners have been well into their sixties and learned to dance quite well. You can even dance in your wheelchair if you can use your upper body; you wouldn't be the first to have to practice sitting down. You aren't even the first on this forum.

Glad to have you with us.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

You are absolutely never to old! Welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Belly dance wasn't even on my radar until I was in my 40's. And you are absolutely right - with a careful teacher it could be a great way to start getting your mobility back.

Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to what everyone else has said. I started formal classes when I was 46, and I'm going on 52 in February. So hi, and welcome to the craziness!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forums!!

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and injuries. I will say, though, that 26 is definitely not too old to start learning! I'm 27 and just started a few weeks ago. There are a lot of 30s+ in my class, all doing wonderfully. My teacher also teaches belly dance at some retirement homes and the ladies are PHENOMENAL! So, if you really want to start learning at some point, it's never too late to start!

<33

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dear, one of the greatest bellydancers ever

who is still alive, well after her 73 or so, and dancing and seducing heavens with her art, started her bellydance at 27! Till then, she was not a real dancer, she just had some flamenco lessons and that is all!

THen, i think you are wise starting your theory instruction earlier than 26, because at that time, you will be so busy dancing!

I am sorry that you need to pass through such a test, i mean, the accident and the temporary injuries - and I am sure that you will get over it and you will make a great dancer!

Remember that dancers start bellydancing at various ages, and 26 is an early age. As for your mobility... well, you picked the right type of movement-training! Oriental dance will be very helpful in to this.

Oh, by the way: ask your doctors about whether you are allowed to train the upper body and arms and head. THat will be fun for you, you will be able to study the music better and yes, you will see the difference the day you step on you feet again. AT that time, you will be able to perform that special type of tribal fusion, where the dancers move too little their legs and pelvis, sometimes not at all. THen, it will be the leg's turn to take the lead.

Welcome to the bellydance universe!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Walladah…

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I have been doing upper body weight training since my accident. I have also been exercising my legs with the help of a physiotherapist. Over all, I'm in pretty good shape. The problem for me is that, although my legs have healed properly, my hipbone will not. It stitches back together but never well enough to support any weight. After the fourth time of having it re-break and the fifth surgery to try to piece it back together, all the doctors suggested that I hold off trying to walk until I have reached the point that I am able to have my hip replacement. Another break might cause damage to my long bones that will make a hip replacement useless or impossible.

One thing that has helped me a lot is that my mother instilled in both my sister and me the belief that our bodies are a gift and it's our duty to take care of them – exercise, eat proper food, get one's proper sleep, maintain a healthy attitude in life and all. Often peoples' attitudes are far worse than the actual injury. I don't know how many times I have been told that I can't do this and I mustn't do that because I'm such and such. And there are those who treat me as if having a damaged pelvis means I am brain damaged as well. When I have to lodge at the Hospice for the Physically and Mentally Challenged I am again inundated with all sorts of negative feedback. There are girls there my age with problems no worse than mine and all they do day in and day out is bitch and complain about what a rotten deal they got in life and how tough it is to be handicapped. Some I would just like to grab by their necks and squeeze very hard or slap them silly. And most have let themselves get so out of shape that they no longer need their legs to get around. All they need do is lie on their sides and roll. Ok, maybe I'm being cruel and maybe I am just venting my frustrations but the bottom line is that Ælfscine is not going to give up on making the best of her life even though others want her to give up, roll over and die.

I will, however, find out if I can do this upper body dancing you have suggested. I have better doctors now who will probably say that I can with proper precautions and under proper supervision. I am already looking forward to starting.

Later,

Ælfscine
    Last edited by Ælfscine; 12-22-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Spacing and style

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's all a lie!

Don't listen to the doctor's, they will only tell you statistics. Listen to your body, you are the only thing that stands between you and your goals and belly dance is the best way to get inside yourself and learn your body's language. Start with the upper body and work your way down, but above all never forget: "You Can Do ANYTHING!" and have fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast