How to pronouce Amr Diab :)

tina8765

hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, started beginner belly dancing class few months ago, and came across lots songs by Amr Diab... well, i know who he is before i started to learn belly dancing thanks to my husband.

well, I have to say for the last 5 years or so, never a single non Arabic person i came across has pronounced his name right, his name is Amr Diab, should be pronouced ah-mu-row dee-yab, not AMEEER DIALB, Amir is a totally different name to Amr, its not just the spelling, its a totally diffrent name.

How do I know this? well, as I said, thanks to my husband, he is also called Amr Diab!!!:lol: you will see his frustration on his face every time when someone calls his Amir...and some people will auto corret his name on offical documents to Amir :confused:so he always spells his name Amro, since the age of 2(because he was born in England and my parents in law relised people cant pronounce it right).

so next time you want to pull out one of Amr Diab's song and you can confidently say, its a song by AH-MU-ROW DEE-YAB! :D

Cheers!

Tina

Roshanna

I've noticed that on some of CDs that I have, his name is spelled عمرو in Arabic, which does actually have a 'w' on the end. I'm not sure why it usually gets transliterated into English as Amr rather than Amro, since with Amr we tend to want to put a vowel in the wrong place when we try to pronounce it!

Yame

Personally, I would transliterate عمرو as "3amro," "3amru," or "3amroo" with 2 "o"s at the end just so I would know the end is supposed to be the long vowel "waw" as opposed to a short vowel (dumma). If you search for "3amro diab" you can see there's actually people using that transliteration, but it seems like sometimes, especially when it comes to names, the most common transliteration is the simplest one.

With that said, I have a friend who is from Jordan and is the biggest Amr Diab fan I've ever met. He seems to pronounce it as, really just "Amr Diab" exactly as it's written (not "Amir," but not "3amru" either). I'm guessing maybe his dialect just doesn't emphasize the "ayin" much, and perhaps the way he pronounces the "waw" is just very short and casual so as to almost make it disappear?

I don't know, all I know is that the way he says it really sounds just like the common transliteration, whereas if I was to pronounce the name by reading it in Arabic not knowing the way it's normally transliterated, my ayin would be much more emphasized and my waw would be a bit longer.

Last edited:

MizzNaaa

the و at the end is actually silent. That's just how we Arabs spell Amr, hence why it's called Amr and not Amro.