Product review: Personal Style Snafus course

Jane

I got it too. Now have to find the time without the family or pets bugging me to give it my full attention. :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I haven't had a single chance yet to sit and listen/work with it yet hopefully I will over the coming weeks, closes finish this week for the year so i'll be needing something to fill my time:D
~Mosaic

Darshiva

Sorry for resurrecting this thread (and for those of you who already read this on facebook, too) but I just listened through Personal Style SNAFUs (complete from beginning to end this time and verbally doing the exercises while I was doing some housework)

If you've been wondering whether or not to get it, get it. It's given me a huge amount of clarity on a little project of mine, and further working through will, I'm sure, resolve this clarity into laser-like focus. I really needed this. I was floundering unnecessarily pushing myself away from the natural direction my project was taking and upon reflection my project's natural direction was the right one and a damn sight closer to the end point than I'd realised.

It also made me realise that now's a good time to drop the pressure to work on things that aren't going to further my current dance goals and maybe work on them later when they might actually mesh with what I actually do.

Clarity, relief and reaffirmation. Without being pushy. And only $20!

Darshiva

I mostly learned that my approach to bellydance is fantastic. My approach to innovation, however, was beyond f*ed up. I've been developing my own style for a few years now without ever realising it, all the while trying to develop my own style and going 'oh hell, this isn't working... I should do...'. And the program made me realise that I'd already developed my style a very long way and not only that, I had been TEACHING it, just not with the music I usually use for it myself.

So I think I might start teaching it with the right music and giving it a formal name (which the program also helped me resolve).

It's been a turning point for me. It also gave me the courage to put down the Keti Sharif coursework until I decide I want to play with it again - which could conceivably be never. ;) After years of beating myself up over never getting the motivation to do it, I realised that it's not on the path I currently want for my dance development. Later, if I'm in that mind-set, maybe. But now? No.

Aniseteph

I just ordered it on the strength of some excellent reviews ;) and currently being at a strange and unsatisfying place in my dance journey. I hope it helps.

bomu samba

Useful for a newbie?

There have been some great reviews of this course and I am considering getting it. My concern is that I've not been dancing that long (3 years) and I have very little performance, choreography and improv experience. Is it going to be a useful tool for a relative dance newbie? Or will I need lots of dance experience that I can to apply to the learning?

Darshiva

Yes it is a good tool for a newbie. There's a lot to work with in here, and the advice given applies to all levels from a continuing beginner up.

Jane

There were some things in the course I'd already thought deeply about; it was reassuring that other dancers are thinking these same things. A couple of things really struck me while I was reading and doing the workbook. I feel very defensive about Egyptian style dance and I never realized how strongly I felt about it and how I relate to it before. I am hyper focused on dancing like an authentic Egyptian to the exclusion of anything else. Another thing that stood out was how self critical I am. In the part where we have to "pick a specific moment or combination you're proud of." I drew a blank. I keep thinking about how I'm not good enough, blah blah blah, and how much better I should be, and why I can't be this that or the other thing. I focus way too much on the negative when I think of myself dancing. I think these are just basic parts of my personality. Narrowly focused and self critical in all parts of my life. No idea how to combat these traits or if I should try. They can be useful, but are they holding me back in some ways? I don't know.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Yes it is a good tool for a newbie. There's a lot to work with in here, and the advice given applies to all levels from a continuing beginner up.

Yes, actually I think it would interesting to work through it at this stage, and then maybe revisit it in a year or two, to see if or what opinions and feelings you had have changed.

That's my plan -- I think I'll go through it probably once a year.

There were some things in the course I'd already thought deeply about; it was reassuring that other dancers are thinking these same things. A couple of things really struck me while I was reading and doing the workbook. I feel very defensive about Egyptian style dance and I never realized how strongly I felt about it and how I relate to it before. I am hyper focused on dancing like an authentic Egyptian to the exclusion of anything else.

I hear you -- in my mind it's not so much "privileged" as "the ONLY option!" (But that's of my own choosing and mostly cause I'm just crazier over Egyptian music than Turkish.)

Another thing that stood out was how self critical I am. In the part where we have to "pick a specific moment or combination you're proud of." I drew a blank. I keep thinking about how I'm not good enough, blah blah blah, and how much better I should be, and why I can't be this that or the other thing. I focus way too much on the negative when I think of myself dancing. I think these are just basic parts of my personality. Narrowly focused and self critical in all parts of my life. No idea how to combat these traits or if I should try. They can be useful, but are they holding me back in some ways? I don't know.

I think once you're aware of your ... shall we call it reverse prejudice? ... then at least you can take that into consideration when "judging" yourself. I know that attitude holds me back. I have refused to allow myself to dance to Um Kalsoum until I'm "good enough" for it. At ten years plus, I'm still waiting to be good enough. :/

I had a similar reaction with that exercise because there was only ONE moment that I could look back on with pride, and that was when I felt like I fulfilled the quintessential Egyptianness of the music. The rest of my memories and personal video analysis and assessments are all hyper-critical about being too Suhaila, or whatever. I think just REALIZING how I feel about that made a big difference in NOW being able to look at my performances and say "these don't suck, they're just American."

A big aha moment for me was that although I ADORE Egyptian style, I really do love old-skool American belly dance -- and that "Radio Bastet" kind of music. AND I love finger cymbals and what Suhaila calls Folkloric Fusion. So what I decided was that, in order to be true to myself as an artist, I have to be okay with dancing both styles - American and Egyptian. Which doubled my practice time, but ah well :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nadirajamal

WOW.

When you put something out there, you hope people will like it, and find it useful.

But I am thrilled at how much thought and effort you ladies have put into PSS, and I'm so happy to hear about your progress.

Great work!

Bella237

Has anyone ever done this course as a group? Several of my students sounded interested in it and I was curious if we could each individually purchase and listen to the workshop. Then use the our answers in the workbook for discussion? Any thoughts?

nadirajamal

Has anyone ever done this course as a group? Several of my students sounded interested in it and I was curious if we could each individually purchase and listen to the workshop. Then use the our answers in the workbook for discussion? Any thoughts?

That's a neat idea. As long as everyone buys their own copy, you definitely have my blessing. Let me know how it goes.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

My dance partner also bought it and so we've been talking about it together, and of course we've each discussed it here.

It is about PERSONAL style, though -- so the focus is really about YOU, probing into the kinds of movement YOU like, and what YOU respond to emotionally. It would be interesting to see if that could also translate to your troupe -- TRY IT and let us know!!

But it's always fascinating to see what other people have to say about a product, or how they themselves use it. I think a group discussion would be really interesting!