Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default perfect practice anyone?

i keep on hearing about how PERFECT practice and not mindless practice makes perfect.

how exactly does one put this into practice.

honestly in my experience, learning moves and practicing putting them in choreography helps me because then I see what is possible. helps me be a better dancer ( I hope) hehe

any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Basically by giving you practice all your attention. Watch your technique - stop when it isn't right and correct it. Slow it down if need be.

When practicing a choreography don't always run it all the way through. Work on any particular sections that you have problems with ie you may work 30 minutes on a 5 second sequence - then put it into the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Mindful practice is a better phrase than perfect practice and means giving practice your whole attention and not letting half your mind wander off to what you have to pick up at the grocery store for dinner.

Mindful practice is excruciatingly hard. Perfect practice is impossible.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

okay, but you know what I mean. not just mindlessly learning one move and NOT knowing what to do with it.

i guess thats why sometimes, I get so proud when I learn something (on my own) of dance moves or combos I love that I have seen other dancers do, and then I can do them.

yeah. hilarious how thrilled I get.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it hilarious? It is fine to be proud of an accomplishment.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent. How you practice is how you end up performing.

Post Thanks / Like

that's a nice quote, Jane.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

okay, thanx. that helps a bit. I also have realized a bit that I can't always exercise while watching tv shows. some stuff I really need music. I just don't have any good "practice" music. something with consistent beats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ahava_Melantha View Post
    okay, thanx. that helps a bit. I also have realized a bit that I can't always exercise while watching tv shows. some stuff I really need music. I just don't have any good "practice" music. something with consistent beats.
    Perfect or mindful practice cannot be done while watching TV - music or not. You have to concentrate on what you are doing - and watch yourself in the mirror. Drilling for fitness can be though - but take care you don't drill in bad habits if part of you is watching the box.

Also, although there is a place for something with a consistent beat for some things it won't help your ability to belly dance - that is interpret all those odd little changes that happen in real music.

Post Thanks / Like

okay thanx. yes I know that these moves and doing them with music is totally different. I am totally aware of that. and what about those of us who do NOT have a mirror. my kidz have autism and have not calmed down yet, and the would SERIOUSLY break it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast