Hiding unsightly scars

Ælfscine

Hi...

I know that when I have reached the stage when I can dance in public, I shall have to deal with the scars on my back. I have had five pelvis surgeries and although the surgeons did their best when sewing me back together, everything from my lower back to my buttocks looks like it has been pieced together from spare parts. So far, any bedlah I've seen does not do a good job of hiding that area. Perhaps I should come from the other way and ask if there are any make-up tricks that might take advantage of those lines so they look exotic to my audience. I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you all,

Ælfscine

Tarik Sultan

Trying to cover it with makeup sounds so complicated to me. I think some sort of covering would be best and would really set you apart from the crowd, but in a good unique way. Besides, its the front that most people pay more attention to, so if you had some sort of stylish back cover, I don't think anyone would be distracted.

Shanazel

You could tattoo over the scars. I know some folks who've done that with fairly extensive scars and who were happy wth the result.

khanjar

You could reduce the impact of the scars by using such stuff as Bio Oil, it does work, but there are others that do also one of which is high grade vitamin E oil and the cheapest way of getting that is the oral liquid capsules, just break them open and use the oil. Then there is the old one; honey, just rub the stuff in until the stickiness has gone, it does work albeit slowly.

Ælfscine

Tatoos

You could tattoo over the scars. I know some folks who've done that with fairly extensive scars and who were happy wth the result.

Hi Shanazel...

My brother, Ælfstangard, actually came up with the same idea. That might work well for me once I have my hip replacement and everything is completely healed.

Ælfscine

Amulya

What about a belly cover? Those cover everything from belt to bra and you could embellish them as well so they match the bedlah :) I have been thinking about doing that just for fun because I think it would be a great look. If only I weren't so lazy...

I heard good things about Bio Oil as well from friends. I am going to buy some for my face (recent outbreaks of acne haven't been kind to my face) and for a recent surgery scar. Will keep up to date with the results :)

SeeJaneDance

I agree with the belly cover idea (it's also a back cover!). You can either match your skin tone, or coordinate with your outfit color.

If you do look into tattooing over the scars, consult with a reputable tattoo artist first. Scar tissue, especially if it's from a deep scar, like surgery causes, doesn't always take the needle or ink like regular skin.

Ælfscine

Reducing the scars first.

You could reduce the impact of the scars by using such stuff as Bio Oil, it does work, but there are others that do also one of which is high grade vitamin E oil and the cheapest way of getting that is the oral liquid capsules, just break them open and use the oil. Then there is the old one; honey, just rub the stuff in until the stickiness has gone, it does work albeit slowly.

Hi Khanjar....

I think you are right in that I should work on reducing the impact of the scars and make sure that what scar tissue that forms is clean and smooth. I have about 6 to 7 years yet to wait before my hip replacement so in the meantime I need make sure that the current batch of knife and stitch wounds are healing properly. I wasn't careful after one of my surgeries and got the stitching infected and was even running a fever. It took weeks of expressing the wound, swathing and antibiotics to get rid of that infection. As a result, one of the scars is a blotch rather than a neat line. On the good side – if you can call it such – that particular scar is hidden by most costumes.

Have any of you ever heard of "scar planing"? It is supposed to smooth scar tissue. It sound like what they do to your heels during a pedicure to get rid of callouses. It sounds risky to me – just another way to get a dandy infection. However, if any of you have done that with good results, I would like to hear from you.

Later,

Ælfscine

Last edited:

Dunyah

There are also some cute triangular-shaped belly covers that are opaque. They are sewn onto a panty-like bottom, and the top of the triangle hooks to the center of the bra in front and back. So it covers the area in question but still shows some skin.