Bhuz

Roshanna

Apparently the issue is with Internet Explorer. You know, the browser that most people use. It should be fixed in a few days (as a geek myself I cannot believe the software developers never tested in on IE!)

Slightly surprised they didn't test it, but I can sympathize... A good chunk of my time as a software tester is spent dealing with annoying issues in IE that don't affect any other browser. For something so popular, it's remarkably broken (though IE8+ is a lot less painful to support than the older verisons - if any of you are still using IE7 or, heaven forbid, IE6, then you should really upgrade).

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Slightly surprised they didn't test it, but I can sympathize... A good chunk of my time as a software tester is spent dealing with annoying issues in IE that don't affect any other browser. For something so popular, it's remarkably broken (though IE8+ is a lot less painful to support than the older verisons - if any of you are still using IE7 or, heaven forbid, IE6, then you should really upgrade).

Meh - that's pretty much true of ANY M$ product, especially any that are supposedly standards compliant. Then there are those that code specifically to IE, so their page doesn't work right on anything else!

Kashmir

Meh - that's pretty much true of ANY M$ product, especially any that are supposedly standards compliant. Then there are those that code specifically to IE, so their page doesn't work right on anything else!
Back when IE was over 80% of the market it was a sensible strategy. Why code for the few oddballs using Opera or Mozilla? These days people need to consider a wider range of browsers, mobile phones, dial up vs broadband and different screen sizes. Not easy. Yet, the Bhuz upgrade is the worst I've ever seen. Still does not display some things correctly. Maybe the developers could consider a job with the guys who coded the national school payroll - and rolled it out without testing! Several months later people are still getting the wrong pay or not paid at all. And not a MS product to be seen (I think). Just a bunch of inexperienced programmers with bad BA and management who don't understand the importance of testing in the software cycle.

Zumarrad

I was a Firefox convert for a long time till it stopped letting me look at YouTube. Now I use Chrome. I haven't even noticed the US spellcheck. I don't use spellchecks of any kind online anyway. I have found Chrome very good - yes it takes a while to kick in but once it's there, it's there. And I haven't had any issues with the Bhuz upgrade, apart from it looking ugly.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I was a Firefox convert for a long time till it stopped letting me look at YouTube. Now I use Chrome. I haven't even noticed the US spellcheck. I don't use spellchecks of any kind online anyway. I have found Chrome very good - yes it takes a while to kick in but once it's there, it's there. And I haven't had any issues with the Bhuz upgrade, apart from it looking ugly.

I use both FF & chrome only IE if for some reason I need to go to the MSN website, they don't like other browsers. I have never had issues with youtube & FF either.
~Mosaic

Roshanna

Then there are those that code specifically to IE, so their page doesn't work right on anything else!
My home computer is a rather elderly laptop running Ubuntu, so these sites really annoy me - if it won't work in Firefox or Chrome, then it goes on my 'crap website to ignore' list. OTOH, my own personal projects aren't really tested in IE because I can't do it at home, they get a cursory checking over on my work computer, but I can't do proper debugging :(

I'm still finding Bhuz works OK for me, the new layout isn't that lovely, but I'm not sure it's that much worse than what came before... (it at least fixes where there used to be white text on a blue and white background, but some page elements are now misaligned)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Back when IE was over 80% of the market it was a sensible strategy. Why code for the few oddballs using Opera or Mozilla? These days people need to consider a wider range of browsers, mobile phones, dial up vs broadband and different screen sizes. Not easy. Yet, the Bhuz upgrade is the worst I've ever seen. Still does not display some things correctly. Maybe the developers could consider a job with the guys who coded the national school payroll - and rolled it out without testing! Several months later people are still getting the wrong pay or not paid at all. And not a MS product to be seen (I think). Just a bunch of inexperienced programmers with bad BA and management who don't understand the importance of testing in the software cycle.
I swear that M$ breaks standards on purpose...

But I've been a skeptic of the whole "PC" industry from the very beginning. When the IBM PC first came out, it was a joke - a bad joke - in comparison to the professional grade Microcomputers of the day. The PC was a bad clone of the two most popular hobbyist grade computers, the TRS-80 and the Apple ][ - combining the worst features of both and the best features of neither! As a result, the hobbyists were the first to flock to it, bringing their bad practices with them - which still linger to this day!

The PC industry has (re)learned a few things along the way (like NOT using tin plated connectors ala TRS-80), but remains sub-optimal in both hardware and especially software. Microsoft isn't hardly the only company with amateur grade software, but they're one of the biggest (I can tell you stories).

Some of these companies obviously don't have a single employee who has passed Computer Science 101...

And then there's Windows 8. This makes the Vista debacle and the Windows ME debacle pale by comparison...

Yame

I can log in and post just fine, but I can't check my inbox... and I can see that I have new messages. :confused:

Tammyraks

As a long time bhuz member, who has been out of the bhuz and belly dance scene for a few years now, bhuz is very hard for me to use now:(.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
As a long time bhuz member, who has been out of the bhuz and belly dance scene for a few years now, bhuz is very hard for me to use now:(.
I've been a member for over a decade, and have seen many changes there. The hardest to stomach is the Politically Correct "I'm so easily OFFENDED" crowd. But what's going to drive me away for good is Bhuz's increasing Facecrook integration/infatuation - there's more talk about that than there is about Bhuz!

Last edited:

Tammyraks

I can understand that, I belong to a different forum (for a different hobby), there you need to watch what you say, or it gets taken the wrong way.

I've been a member for over a decade, and have seen many changes there. The hardest to stomach is the Politically Correct "I'm so easily OFFENDED" crowd. But what's going to drive me away for good is Bhuz's increasing Face***k integration/infatuation - there's more talk about that than there is about Bhuz!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I can understand that, I belong to a different forum (for a different hobby), there you need to watch what you say, or it gets taken the wrong way.
You haven't seen anything until you've hung out on a Piano board for awhile. :shok:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Not really... Pretty vicious. For instance, EVERYONE knows that Steinway is the Best Piano in the World (tm), except it actually is the Worst Piano in the World! No, Bosendorfer is the Best Piano in the World (tm) - only an total MORON and IDIOT would say otherwise. No, its really Bechstein...

Tammyraks

Yes, I can understand that. I actually belong to a doll forum and it gets quite serious at times.

PS: When things get out of hand though, the topic gets locked.

Not really... Pretty vicious. For instance, EVERYONE knows that Steinway is the Best Piano in the World (tm), except it actually is the Worst Piano in the World! No, Bosendorfer is the Best Piano in the World (tm) - only an total MORON and IDIOT would say otherwise. No, its really Bechstein...

Shanazel

I once saw a couple of very dignified, highly educated, and normally quite mannerly middle-aged ladies almost come to blows over the proper identification of an African violet.

I was so entertained that I promptly joined the organization and remained a member for several years.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I once saw a couple of very dignified, highly educated, and normally quite mannerly middle-aged ladies almost come to blows over the proper identification of an African violet.

I was so entertained that I promptly joined the organization and remained a member for several years.
I like it! - so did they ever sort the identification problem out?
~Mosaic

khanjar

I have never been on Bhuz, always come here.

Google Chrome- Aw Snap !, it used to be good, but it has slowed down a lot and has become somewhat unstable, mind from what I am hearing Google Search itself is becoming a bit iffy over the last six months or so with it not finding half as much stuff as other engines find.

Mind am using Chrome on a Macbook Pro with it's own issues, the somewhat notorious flakey wifi which Apple refuse to acknowledge as a fault ( some ninety odd pages on Apple's community reporting the same fault )

Sirène

Piano World by any chance?

I'm not even going to discuss the Bhuz 'upgrade'… :rolleyes: