Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems there are basically three schools of thought when teaching cymbals, and I'm wondering why we don't just use a combination of all three.

For Beledi, for instance:

1. Teaching cymbals just as you would teach drum -- with one hand dedicated to Doum and Ka and the other to Tek. So you would learn the rhythm and say it just as a drummer would" D-D-TkT-D-TkT. I guess then you could "vary" your playing the same way a drummer would, by adding fills and flourishes or switching rhythms as you go.

2. Teaching cymbals as a "chant" or scat: "Dance Dance, Gotta Dance, Dance, Gotta Dance." For this method you could get pretty creative and use nursery rhymes, song lyrics, or even just nonsense syllables to create variety. (This is how I learned tap dance: my instructor would say: "Dog dog, diggy dog, diggy doggy dog, diggity dog dog diggy Bad dog, get a bone." lol.

3. Teaching cymbals as numeric patterns: 1-1-3-1-3. The numbers correspond almost always to the rhythms, but can "invert" the rhythms in a way I don't see drummers doing. This is what I'm most familiar with, and what I think allows for the most flexibility, but I'm prejudiced.

What way is best for each of you? Which system helps you learn better, or which system do you use in class?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Killer Ziller! Whoohoo! Worth it!

I'm finding the numbers system is working best for me. I finally got Michelle's DVD and now I understand what all the fuss is about! The practice sessions are amazing and I can already hear the difference in the precision of my zills playing!

I am going to use this for the next few weeks to gain a bit more confidence and dexterity then resume trying to create my own patterns to go with a choreography I know.

As an added bonus the zills practice is improving my ability to quickly identify the various drum beats... I'm getting the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes with finding a good teacher to learn from... I may have a new bellydance teacher crush.

Post Thanks / Like

Having found the Killer Ziller intro on youtube, I am saving up for it as I recognise that is a useful approach to learning the damned clattery things.

But for now I have Shira's instruction pages on the things in my browser tool bar for immediate access.

And so it is the gallop that is my current practice as that is the one we have been asked to get the hang of for classes in the new year.

Post Thanks / Like

I only have one instructional DVD on zills (well, TWO if you count Dolphina's DVD ), but I do plan on getting others in the future. What I want to know is, s there anything wrong with using rhythm CD's and copying the rhythm patterns? Am I missing any pertinent information by using instructional CD's?
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 12-17-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, and that actually is method number 1 like I mentioned above.

While I love dvds in general, I hadn't found one that actually challenged me until I got Z-Helene's, which focuses on the different sounds you can make.

Artemis and Yasmine have 2 CDs out on playing cymbals, with extensive notes. I recommend those also, even if only for the booklets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Nope, and that actually is method number 1 like I mentioned above.

While I love dvds in general, I hadn't found one that actually challenged me until I got Z-Helene's, which focuses on the different sounds you can make.

Artemis and Yasmine have 2 CDs out on playing cymbals, with extensive notes. I recommend those also, even if only for the booklets!
    Thank you! Are they available on Amazon?

Oh, and did I mention I'm getting TWO new sets of Saroyan zills for Christmas? They're wrapped under the tree right now!

Post Thanks / Like

After watching my initial instructor practise her zills for an upcoming performance I knew this was something I had to learn. She coached me on the basics but I was only able to have a lesson about every three months. It was mostly a figure it out by yourself deal.

At the start I tried to learn using the RLR style. While this lets you know what hand to make the note with it becomes very confusing when you play faster or have a more complicated rythym. Add in trying to step LRL while playing RLR on your hands I soon found my brain starting to melt...

I progressed to using the number system... 1-2-3...1-2-3...1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    I found this much better than RLR but still had the brain thinking in numbers and not rythyms.

Things got better when I started "singing" the rythym with LA-LA-LA... LA-LA-LA...LA_LA_LA_LA_LA_LA-LA.....

I was lucky enough to take a workshop with Tarik Sultan and he taught a variation of this which helped alot...

I started to play the drumline using the dominant hand to play the DUMS and the other hand to play the TECKS....

And all of a sudden it was just there.... I could just listen to the music and the zills just seemed to have a mind of their own.... I could move and play at the same time and not have to concentrate on them..

This is not a skill that you will learn over night but if you practice 5 minutes a day for a month you will probably suprise yourself... and it will bring plenty more enjoyment to your dance... Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have to count 1-2-3 etc as RLR is very confusing when it is one struggles with one's lefts and rights as it is anyway through being directionally stupid(dyspraxia). I use RLR I am slow, I use numerals I am quicker and this is because with directions I have to think which is the right direction first and I forget quickly.

It was the same when I was trying to learn djembe the class mnemonics didn't work for me and I had to convert them to a number system, which really flummoxed the class tutor and she just had to accept my method is slower as I have to convert to what I know works for me.

But yes, practice, am currently doing 15 mins a day with the things and when not when am bimbling about outside at night with my headphones in, I tapping index finger to thumb in time with the music.

Post Thanks / Like

I have difficulty getting my tongue around RLR at full speed and as I have a mix of right and left handers it is too confusing for the lefties. (And I can never work out which is my left or right under stress - when I recently redid my driver's licence I ended up wagging my hand for the peripheral vison test)

123 gets people playing without the accent and the pause. I tend to use and-a-one and-a-two etc. And when they are first learning it becomes and-a-step and-a-step.

Switching to drum rhythms - like a masmoudi saghir I use doms and teks and sing it - dom dom tek-ka tek dom tek-ka tek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Thank you! Are they available on Amazon?

Oh, and did I mention I'm getting TWO new sets of Saroyan zills for Christmas? They're wrapped under the tree right now!
    JEALOUS!!

Here's Artie's:
    Amazon.com: Zill Speak - How to Play Finger Cymbals from A(lmee) to Z(ills): Elizabeth Artemis Mourat: Music

and here is Yasmin's:
    Amazon.com: Sagat Speak - Egyptian Finger Cymbals: Yasmin Henkesh, The Henkesh Brothers: Music

I like both of them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast