Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Oh, and did I mention I'm getting TWO new sets of Saroyan zills for Christmas? They're wrapped under the tree right now!
    How fabulous! I just got a pair for my birthday . They sound so much nicer than the bad eBay zills I had before.
    This thread and the new zills have inspired me and I'm working out some practice drills for the holidays. I had been using the Jamila download / R-L-R method but I'm another person that has difficulty telling my left from my right. I'll try counting and see how I go!

Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes

My first 3 sets of zills came out of three different cheapie "How To Bellydance" beginner "kits" (one kit included a "72 inch luxurious veil"---turned out to be a 72 inch luxurious NECK TIE). -_- The sound from all three sets went dead after only a couple of years, so now they're totally worthless. You truly get what you pay for---I don't recommend getting those silly kits (unless it comes with a bonus CD of bellydance music! ).

Which two of them DID...

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon and eBay keep "recommending" those cheapie kits to me. If your experience with the "luxurious veil" is anything to go by, I'm glad I've steered clear!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread... I just got a new pair of zills from my Secret Habibi (Bhuz's Secret Santa project) and I've been working with an Estonian tabla payer to put something together - him playing, me zilling and dancing. I mean, I can zill decently, because when I took percussion classes, there were plenty of people to play drums, but only few zill-players. So, I can zill away happily sitting among drummers. I can even walk and zill a variety of rhythms (I would confuse people in the first few percussion classes with that )... However, when it comes to dancing and zilling at the same time, it will definitely take some work. I am definitely going to try Aziyade's tips for practising!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I think I get how to do "doum" and "tek," but what about "ka"? Would I do it with my "tek" hand, only make the strike shorter?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I get how to do "doum" and "tek," but what about "ka"? Would I do it with my "tek" hand, only make the strike shorter?
    If I have played 'Tek' with my left hand I play 'ka' with my right as I can't move my fingers fast enough to do "tek-ka" with 1 hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you generally play Dum and Tek on your dominant hand, Ka on the non-dominant hand. Butyou can play around with that arrangement a lot, to suit the music and how tired you are. Don't feel like you HAVE to play under "rules."

Example: Masmoudi, I like to play the first 2 or 3 dums on my dominant hand, but the first two teks on my non-dominant. Then for the rest of the phase, I go back to the "typical" hands.

Post Thanks / Like

In drumming, the ka sound is not a shorter stroke, it's a higher-pitched stroke done on the head near the rim, with the non-dominant hand. The dominant hand plays the doum and the tek. The ka is really useful for embellishing the rhythms and doing special accents.

I've never played around with zills tuned to play doum and tek, but it seems like the system breaks down with the ka sound, since the higher-pitched zills would be on the non-dominant hand and, as you say, difficult to play in rapid sequence.

If anyone uses this type of zills I'd love for them to chime in and help us understand the technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay a question without starting another zill thread ;

Am learning Longa at the moment and yep, Using Shira's Instruction on her website but where it says in the counting diagram;

R---rlR---rlR---rlR---rl,

The accent on the Capital letters what's that, is that just whack the zills harder to get a louder sound ?

And timing what is the correct timing for this ?

Belly Dance: Finger Cymbals For 4/4 Music

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

OMG EBAY HAS TARKAN BELLYDANCE ZILLS!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! *orders!*

EDIT: *hyperventilates!*
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 12-25-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast