Zills - One rhythm at at time?

khanjar

I believe my zills are Zildjian and the tone is clear are sharp with a resonating finish when I hit them right and totally different to the ebay cheapies I gave away the tone was that different.

But tonight in the car Phil Thornton's Bay City Shimmy came on and that features zilling, it was good to hear.

khanjar

And added to that as it seems I have lost my normal ear pieces in my flat I was forced to use the back up set which are devoid of bass and so in the music I hear from my Zen I can clearly distinguish the zill and it is there in some but the bass obscured it, I never noticed it before, but helpful it is proving to be and longa I undertand is very common in much that is common dance music.

Farasha Hanem

I believe my zills are Zildjian and the tone is clear are sharp with a resonating finish when I hit them right and totally different to the ebay cheapies I gave away the tone was that different.

But tonight in the car Phil Thornton's Bay City Shimmy came on and that features zilling, it was good to hear.

I know what you mean by the cheapie zills. I still have one set of cheapies I picked up at the Ren Faire a few years back for $12. They have a good tone, but the ring doesn't sustain for more than five seconds. They're still good for practice, but they can't compare in quality to my Saroyans.

I did buy another cheapie set of zills off eBay a few nights ago, but the set includes a picture of Tarkan. THAT'S worth 12 bucks, isn't it? :redface:

There's another set of zills on eBay I would love to have, but I'm not sure if they're worth $89! @_____@ They're supposed to be antique, supposedly having been in an Indian woman's family for decades before the seller bought them from her. They're cut like little suns; and one of them has "India" etched on the bottom. Are they really antique, or is the seller overcharging for a set of zills that aren't worth it? How can I tell if they're truly antique? :think:

Darshiva

If they look like this, you may want to reconsider.

I mean they're nice. Great chime and quite fun to use. But they're worth about $15 AUD.

Last edited:

Jane

If they look like this, you may want to reconsider.

I mean they're nice. Great chime and quite fun to use. But they're worth about $15 AUD.

I had a pair of those. I think the seller is trying to embellish the truth.

Darshiva

I love mine - they're incredibly cute. But I still haggled the seller down to $10 - because that's how I roll!

Farasha Hanem

I had a pair of those. I think the seller is trying to embellish the truth.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The zills in Darshiva's pic are the exact ones that are on eBay. The only differences are that the zills aren't shiny, they do have a patina, the "strings" look old and dirty, and the word "India" was etched on the underside of one. That's what raised my suspicions. The etching was very poor, as if done by hand, and why would anyone do that in the first place? :naghty: I do love the design of them, and if they were the quality of Saroyans, Zildjians, or Turquoise, I wouldn't MIND paying $40-$60 for them. But $89 seems mighty exorbitant, especially since the seller says that one of the finger strings is brittle.

And that seller said he/she researched and couldn't find another set like the set he/she is selling. :rolleyes: One of my dance sisters has a similar set (I fell in love with them when I saw them! :redface:). I love the unusual, but I was skeptical about that listing.

Darshiva, do you have a link to the seller of the zills you bought?

Last edited:

Darshiva

Also, a jeweller can add a patina in about 3 seconds. It's not at all hard to make something look aged. Add in the worn-out elastic from a pair of shorts and voila - antique zills!

Farasha Hanem

Thank you for the advise, tips, and link! :D *hugs!*

I'm excited to become a better zill player! I'm making a list of instructional DVD's to buy on Amazon to help, since my teacher is still learning to zill, herself. She has problems with counting to music as it is, and zilling tends to throw her for a loop!