Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Dancer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SisterMoon View Post
    I'm not very familiar with Cabaret. Unfortunately, I mostly know the negative aspects of it.
    Like what?

Post Thanks / Like

Just the usual stuff...it was to entertain men and the dancers are little more than strippers.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh. Go figure. I've been doing this since the seventies and that's the first time I ever heard cabaret styles specifically called out for those reasons. Naysayers are usually more inclusive.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Most people I know think of Cabaret dancers when they refer to belly dance. Even I was guilty of that when I first took an interest in belly dance. I pictured the dancer wearing a coined bra top and skirt slit up the thighs. I had no idea there were so many different styles of belly dance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SisterMoon View Post
    Just the usual stuff...it was to entertain men and the dancers are little more than strippers.
    Wow, where'd you hear that? Or is that your own opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

I pictured the dancer wearing a coined bra top and skirt slit up the thighs.
    Well, that certainly describes me during my early years as a dancer. It was the fashion. Of course I still like coins though I'd sew up the slits in my skirts now. Legs are not quite as good at 57 as they were at 27, y'know.

Don't recall any stripping involved, though. Strippers made LOTS more money than I did.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    Wow, where'd you hear that? Or is that your own opinion?
    No, that's not my opinion. I love belly dance. Some people are close minded. Several years ago, I worked in a doctor's office and had mentioned to a coworker that I thought it would be fun to take a belly dance class and she told me that belly dance was just to entertain men and belly dancers were sluts.

Post Thanks / Like

That's okay. We think she's... um, well let's be kind and call her unenlightened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Don't recall any stripping involved, though. Strippers made LOTS more money than I did.
    LOL! I'm a little conservative and prefer the fuller skirts of ATS and Tribal. Anyway, I'm not brave enough to wear a skirt slit up the thighs.

Post Thanks / Like

My skirts were very full: half circle in front and full circle in the back, not at all like the tight lycra things popular now. Juliana and Serena Wilson wore more revealing costumes back in the sixties and seventies but their figures were nicer than mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast