Texas Dancer

SisterMoon

Hi guys!

My name is Natasha. I live in the Texas Hill Country outside of San Antonio. I've been interested in belly dance since I was 17, but it wasn't until a few years ago I was able to take a class. I took a basic 6-week Tribal Style class and really enjoyed it. In the past year, I've grown to love belly dance, especially Tribal Style. I think I might be getting a bit obsessed with it. :)

I am so glad I found this forum! I live in a small town and there isn't a belly dance community here. I'd love to take an ongoing class, but since there isn't one in my area, I use DaturaOnline. I really love that website and Rachel Brice! I think she did a wonderful job with the instructors she picked.

I know I'm rambling. I don't usually get a chance to discuss this beautiful art form with people who appreciate it. I'm excited to learn from everyone and to ask questions.

Happy Shimmies!

~Natasha

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. You've come to the right place to feed your obsession:lol:
~Mosaic

SisterMoon

Cabaret

Welcome aboard, Tribal sister!

I dance both Cabaret and Tribal styles myself.

I'm not very familiar with Cabaret. Unfortunately, I mostly know the negative aspects of it. (I really dislike the stigma associated with all forms of Belly Dance.) I've been watching Sedona Soulfire on DaturaOnline and I like how she breaks down the moves. I've found some of the Cabaret movements are similar to the ones in Tribal and easier to learn than the faster Tribal movements.

Alysha

Welcome to the forums! These gals are great at answering questions, and if there's a way to add a joke to something they'll find, so expect lots of laughs.

Shanazel

Huh. Go figure. I've been doing this since the seventies and that's the first time I ever heard cabaret styles specifically called out for those reasons. Naysayers are usually more inclusive. ;)

SisterMoon

Most people I know think of Cabaret dancers when they refer to belly dance. Even I was guilty of that when I first took an interest in belly dance. I pictured the dancer wearing a coined bra top and skirt slit up the thighs. I had no idea there were so many different styles of belly dance!

Shanazel

I pictured the dancer wearing a coined bra top and skirt slit up the thighs.

Well, that certainly describes me during my early years as a dancer. :D It was the fashion. Of course I still like coins though I'd sew up the slits in my skirts now. Legs are not quite as good at 57 as they were at 27, y'know.

Don't recall any stripping involved, though. Strippers made LOTS more money than I did.

SisterMoon

Wow, where'd you hear that? Or is that your own opinion?

No, that's not my opinion. I love belly dance. Some people are close minded. Several years ago, I worked in a doctor's office and had mentioned to a coworker that I thought it would be fun to take a belly dance class and she told me that belly dance was just to entertain men and belly dancers were sluts.

Shanazel

My skirts were very full: half circle in front and full circle in the back, not at all like the tight lycra things popular now. Juliana and Serena Wilson wore more revealing costumes back in the sixties and seventies but their figures were nicer than mine. ;)