Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear A'isha,
    your welcome!

I strongly believe misrepresentation of dance styles has made it harder for people (not just the GP, but what about starting, impressionable dancers that still don't know much about the dance, and who are sort of being 'trained' to do what the dance does not mean to represent?) to know what they are watching/doing and whether what they are viewing is authentic 'bellydance' or a spin-off/fusionist thing. IMO there's nothing wrong with being clear about what we do, as long as we sincerely try to clarify and represent in the right way the dances we all love so much, in whichever form they come, as long as we represent those forms truthfully and with clear knowledge of what particular styles are about.
    The image of the dance has long been degraded and misrepresented by so many 'dancers', as you have stated, the many Kayas and Rajiputis, that it is time for us to stand up and defend it/represent it in the right way and try to rebuild the image of our dance in a truthful and sincere way, the way it was meant to be (and this goes not just for MED but for all bellydance related styles), if we wish to keep and preserve the authenticity and glory of the styles and the dance itself.

Dear Moon, I think BOB is ok as it is. I see people could get offended by the b-word, but in this case it has a very positive connotation so I don't really think it would do any harm.
    I kind of like the acronym the way it is and besides, being Strongly Opinionated does not make you a Bitch, BOB-factor does

Dear Chryssanthi, I see where you're coming from but doesn't being a BOB set us apart from the mainstream already? We try to educate and preserve the dance in all it's forms, and basically we do have that one aspect in common. Maybe we could come up with a statement that shows what we do all together, but still leaves room for own input, like, not saying too much about us as a group. That would not be going with the mainstream IMO, and we could still have a short but good mission statement (I kind of like the idea of a mission statement anyway, since we're all BOB for similar reasons).

I'll be off to bed now lol, this post is getting long and it's getting pretty late over here.

Happy discussing and a bitchy goodnight,
    Yshka

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a'isha_azar
    Dear Moom,
    Well...er... SOB in English is the acronym for "Son of a bitch".... Personally I have no issues with the word "Bitch", but I do understand that some people are offended, etc.
    Oops :shock: I didn't know that. Let's stay with BOB then.
    You and Yshka are right about a "bitch" having a somewhat different meaning here, but I still think of persons I hated so much when I hear that word...
    *sigh*, I hope you BOBs can give me a better connotation for the first B-word some day

Post Thanks / Like

Dear A'isha,

You go, girl, and when you take out those windmills I will be the first to run out and brush the dust off your bedlah!

Dear Moon,

Bitch= Babe in Total Control of Herself. There is a hysterical and yet very sensible book called "Getting in Touch With Your Inner Bitch." I can't think of the author, but it will change your viewpoint of the word "bitch" forever.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shanazel
    Bitch= Babe in Total Control of Herself.
    I like that one!
    (although now I'm even more sure I'm not a bitch (yet?) )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I like that one!
    (although now I'm even more sure I'm not a bitch (yet?)
    Then you should do your best to become one, dear Moon

Shanazel, is there really a book about getting in contact with your inner bitch? Cool Do you think one could find it at Amazon? I don't need it for myself, since I am a natural born bitch:p , but I'm curious what the author says about the subject and I'd like to recommend it, if it is good.

As about the mission statement of the BOBs, I don't know, but I like less and less the idea of having a mission statement. Somehow it sounds strange to me to be "a BOB with a mission". It reminds me of former times, when I used to be a christian fundamentalist (I was participating the organization "Youth with a mission" then). This whole missionary stuff doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather be a BOB without a mission:p

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob

Dear Group,
    The more I think about it, the more I think a slogan might be better for the back of the t-shirt. How about:

"Dance in truth, whatever your style!"

It says it all and says absolutely nothing at the same time!! Should be offensive to absolutely no one and can be misinterpreted or interpreted any way you want. Politically correct to the max!!

Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Aisha.

I like the slogan thing lot better, than the "mission statement" thing

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a wonderful slogan, A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Chryssanthi, there is a real book called, to the best of my memory, Getting in Touch With Your Inner Bitch. I don't recall the author, but it is a paperback and includes cartoons. The key Bitch phrase is "I don't think so." Examples: "Will you please make me a complete bedlah just because we're friends and I can't afford to pay?" "I don't think so." "Mom, my biker boyfriend,Guido, his Harley, and our two Rottweiler-Pit Bulls are moving in with you to until Guido's rape trial comes up." "I don't think so, dear." HArd to argue with "I don't think so."

Slogan: Dancing and disagreeing since Eve made the first fig leaf bedlah.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bobs

Dear Shanazel,
    Great slogan!!
    Regards,
    A'isha