Waiting a long time for first solo

AspiringDancer

Hello!

Are there any dancers that waited a long time before their first solo?

After 3+ years of classes I'm doing my first (choreographed) solo on Sunday. Even though I did my first performance with a beginner class with < 3 mos of classes, and have done quite a few recital and troupe performances since, this will be my first attempt at performing a choreography of my own creation.

This is all in the hopes of taking my dance from the living room to the stage/public. I realize that even just going through with it is a huge milestone and accomplishment so for that I'm stoked. Nervous too, of course.

I guess I'm just wondering, out of pure curiosity, if other experienced/pro dancers took as long as I have to break out of the bedroom/class/living room?

Looking forward to hearing your stories/thoughts.

Kashmir

3 years isn't that long. If you ignore restaurant dancing (which is a whole different fish), my first public solo (on stage) was after 4 years - and it was way too soon. When I see the video I cringe. I wonder why my teacher ever let me do it (it is really, really bad - made worse by a costume malfunction).

To get it in perspective, I did 8 years jazz et al - 3 classes a week - and by the end of it never soloed (although I did a lot of troupe work).

Farasha Hanem

I've taken classes for over 5 years now, and although I've done a few 15 second improv solos, I've yet to do a choreographed solo. I'm taking my time. :cool:

AspiringDancer

3 years isn't that long. If you ignore restaurant dancing (which is a whole different fish), my first public solo (on stage) was after 4 years - and it was way too soon. When I see the video I cringe. I wonder why my teacher ever let me do it (it is really, really bad - made worse by a costume malfunction).

To get it in perspective, I did 8 years jazz et al - 3 classes a week - and by the end of it never soloed (although I did a lot of troupe work).

That's an interesting and much different perspective than I'm used to. One of the reasons I have waited for so long is because I was always of the mind that when I do it I want it to be very good to create the best impression possible but when I tell people that they look at me sideways.

Most people think that you should get used to performing asap and get all of the nerves and costume malfunctions out of the way when you're learning. I really do see both sides.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that didn't start performing solo at 6 months!

AspiringDancer

I've taken classes for over 5 years now, and although I've done a few 15 second improv solos, I've yet to do a choreographed solo. I'm taking my time. :cool:

If you don't mind me asking, Farasha, are you waiting until you have reached a certain level in your dance or for another reason such as nerves or a lack of performance opportunity?

Thanks for your response : )

gisela

Super Moderator
I did perform a few times from 3 months of dance classes, but only with other people in the classes I took. I think it took around 3 years before doing a solo, and then it just happened. I never thought of it much, should I wait, should I do it.... I had learnt a really nice choreo and felt secure and ready and wanted to perform. It was still within the dance community though.

AspiringDancer

I did perform a few times from 3 months of dance classes, but only with other people in the classes I took. I think it took around 3 years before doing a solo, and then it just happened. I never thought of it much, should I wait, should I do it.... I had learnt a really nice choreo and felt secure and ready and wanted to perform. It was still within the dance community though.

Aside from troupe, I don't think my performances will leave the dance community any time soon! :p

It's really nice that everything just felt right for you! :)

Darshiva

Like Kashmir, I did my first solo at around 4 years. I was terrible, but I'm really glad I did it because the feedback I got was invaluable.

I always tell my students who are plateauing to get out there and solo at their first opportunity (at a student hafla of course!) because the feedback they get from their peers will help them to continue to grow as a dancer.

I don't think it's a bad thing to fail on stage. It's a learning experience. It's just my personal preference that a person's milestone performances (first solo, first troupe, etc) should be for their peers as that is a safer, more welcoming environment than family & friends or worse - the general public!

Kashmir

Most people think that you should get used to performing asap and get all of the nerves and costume malfunctions out of the way when you're learning. I really do see both sides.
Yes, but you get performance experience in a group with carefully graded choreographies that work for your level of experience - and with safe audiences (family and friends). Performing a class group choreography as a solo isn't what I'd call a "solo performance" - even though you are dancing alone - but is an easy next step. A solo performance should be a grown up piece designed for a soloist - quite different really.

AspiringDancer

I don't think it's a bad thing to fail on stage. It's a learning experience. It's just my personal preference that a person's milestone performances (first solo, first troupe, etc) should be for their peers as that is a safer, more welcoming environment than family & friends or worse - the general public!

Oh, absolutely! :)

AspiringDancer

Yes, but you get performance experience in a group with carefully graded choreographies that work for your level of experience - and with safe audiences (family and friends). Performing a class group choreography as a solo isn't what I'd call a "solo performance" - even though you are dancing alone - but is an easy next step. A solo performance should be a grown up piece designed for a soloist - quite different really.

Kashmir, I appreciate that you answer to the newbs but with complete and uninhibited honesty.

It's my own choreo and my first time in a costume that isn't for troupe/student performances so no doubt I'll feel like I'm, "in Mom's heels." As I explore what interests me (choreographed solos, improvising, troupes etc) I'm sure there will be a steep learning curve. Even if I don't attempt this again for a couple of years I think it will be a worthwhile experience, in any case.

Amulya

I did my first after nearly 2 years but had done group ones before. I couldn't have done it any earlier, way too scary and I was not good enough. Weird thing, after that first solo I got my first paid gig, which was my second solo.

Aniseteph

About 3 years in, my own choreography in a student recital. It was Not Great, but that's par for the course for a student recital. It's more about the experience than being great, IMO. If anyone had enabled me to do that as a public performance I would be mortified.

Kashmir, it's interesting what you said about group vs. solo choreographies. I saw a show recently where the level of soloists meant that there weren't any obvious group-choreographies-as-solo, but there were a couple of student groups that felt like lots of people doing a solo choreography. I couldn't quite put my finger on what made it confusing to watch, but that's it. It's hard to watch a bunch of people doing "look at me, look at this" movements even if they are perfectly in synch - you need "look at us" movements.

AspiringDancer

Well I did it. It went really well. : ) I went in there just feeling successful for showing up (since I so badly wanted to bail all day). Not only did I not fall or have a wicked costume malfunction but I was pretty happy overall with how I did, and received a positive response : ) *giddy and happy*

Sophia Maria

Well I did it. It went really well. : ) I went in there just feeling successful for showing up (since I so badly wanted to bail all day). Not only did I not fall or have a wicked costume malfunction but I was pretty happy overall with how I did, and received a positive response : ) *giddy and happy*

Great! Performing is one of the best learning experiences.

I unfortunately did my first two performances (duets) before ever taking a single class! *cringe* :naghty:. I did my first solo after a year of formal instruction, and have done two others since. I've never had a problem with being on stage, because I've performed on stage since I was 13. However, the bellydance performances with my teacher were invaluable. I was able to look back, (cringe and shield my eyes), improve my bellydance technique, dynamics, and stage personality (something I never worked on until bellydance). I still have a long ways to go...

Roshanna

I did my first solo at a local hafla after about a year and a half of classes - it wasn't particularly good, but nothing went horribly wrong, I enjoyed it, and thankfully I didn't do anything too cringeworthy (partly due to a stern talking to from the wise ladies over on Bhuz). I would probably have waited quite a bit longer if I'd had any guidance from my teachers at the time though.

SidraK

I'm about 8 years in and haven't done a solo...may never do one. I'm in no way a natural performer and I like the security of having someone else up there with me.

Hello!

Are there any dancers that waited a long time before their first solo?

After 3+ years of classes I'm doing my first (choreographed) solo on Sunday. Even though I did my first performance with a beginner class with < 3 mos of classes, and have done quite a few recital and troupe performances since, this will be my first attempt at performing a choreography of my own creation.

I guess I'm just wondering, out of pure curiosity, if other experienced/pro dancers took as long as I have to break out of the bedroom/class/living room?

I am always amazed at how quickly belly dancers progress to dancing solo. I've seen teachers push their students into restaurant gigs after only a year or so. In fact I think some belly dance teachers are their own worst enemy: on the one hand they complain about people moving up to teaching or calling themselves professional too early, yet on the other hand they're encouraging their students to think they're good enough to get paid to perform.

I know some teachers say it's good to perform so you learn - but as Kashmir said, you can learn the skills of performing just as well in troupe performances.

When I danced flamenco, I did my first solos after four years and even then, it was never my own choreography, and only occasionally. Even with all my other performance background, I didn't solo in belly dance until I'd been dancing for about four years - and although it was partly my choreo, it was a collaboration with my teacher.

Last edited:

AspiringDancer

I am always amazed at how quickly belly dancers progress to dancing solo. I've seen teachers push their students into restaurant gigs after only a year or so. In fact I think some belly dance teachers are their own worst enemy: on the one hand they complain about people moving up to teaching or calling themselves professional too early, yet on the other hand they're encouraging their students to think they're good enough to get paid to perform.

I know some teachers say it's good to perform so you learn - but as Kashmir said, you can learn the skills of performing just as well in troupe performances.

When I danced flamenco, I did my first solos after four years and even then, it was never my own choreography, and only occasionally. Even with all my other performance background, I didn't solo in belly dance until I'd been dancing for about four years - and although it was partly my choreo, it was a collaboration with my teacher.

A year? In a restaurant? Goodness no! I would think that a teacher has to know that the student reflects her skills as a teacher...

Same with teaching. I don't understand how a student can begin teaching 3-4 years in. Personally, I wouldn't want to teach until there was a darn good reason to train with me. It seems some think they are qualified because they have danced at some haflas.

Not sure I entirely agree about developing the same skills in a troupe. I found that with this solo I just did (which was in a student performance in a belly dance studio, not public or intended to be viewed as pro) I found that working on my own choreography was great for musicality training and being up there on my own was a different experience than with my troupe.

Even in the studio where I train, the opinion is divided. Some teachers insist that performing early is the best way to go while others would rather students wait.

Roshanna

Same with teaching. I don't understand how a student can begin teaching 3-4 years in. Personally, I wouldn't want to teach until there was a darn good reason to train with me. It seems some think they are qualified because they have danced at some haflas.

I've now been dancing 4 1/2 years, and have been teaching beginners classes for the last year. I'm part of a dance 'school' so I work with more experienced teachers who teach the higher level classes. I started out as a trainee shadowing the other teachers, and then took over a class of my own when one of the other teachers needed some time out due to her day job commitments.

Although I am the least experienced teacher locally, I work very hard to be a good teacher, am halfway through a teacher training diploma, and have more knowledge of Arabic music and the history and culture surrounding bellydance than many of my 'elders and betters' in the bellydance community. Several of my students have said that they specifically chose me over other, more experienced, teachers after trying out various classes, because they enjoy my clear teaching style and the cultural context that I try to provide (I was especially proud when a Qatari student complimented me on my good knowledge of Arabic music :)). I don't pretend to be something I'm not, but I definitely think I have something to offer to my students (enthusiasm and geekery ;)), and I'm not afraid to refer them to another teacher if they want something that I'm not able to provide.

My own first teacher was not experienced, and I suspect had been dancing for less time than I now have. If I was being cruel I could probably call her a 6-week wonder, but she was a sweet girl who at least did an OK job of teaching basic technique. She knew nothing about Arabic music at all though, and only owned one CD that she used in every class! So, I am well aware of the pitfalls of inadequately trained teachers. I try in my own classes to be the first teacher that I *wish* I'd had back then.