Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ahava_Melantha View Post
    and i still have no idea how to shimmy with my obliques. is that the same as hip twist shimmy?
    No - the hips still go up and down - not forward and back. Think of contracting on one side of your waist - pull the hip into your armpit. It is exactly the same as when you lean to teh side - only your torso is fixed rather than your legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahava_Melantha
    so . . . 3/4 shimmys are oblique driven and egyptian shimmys are knee driven?
    You can do the 3/4 with your obliques or with your legs. Personally I find obliques and QLs are better if you are walking with it.

There is no "knee driven" shimmy. The "modern" Egyptian shimmy is driven with the quads - forward and back like a small hip twist shimmy. There is also a shimmy that is generated by bending and straightening your legs (ie quads and hamstrings).

Post Thanks / Like

okay still not picturing it. I'm more of a visual learner. do you know of any dvd/youtube video showing all these differences?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    There is no "knee driven" shimmy. The "modern" Egyptian shimmy is driven with the quads - forward and back like a small hip twist shimmy. There is also a shimmy that is generated by bending and straightening your legs (ie quads and hamstrings).
    I wouldn't say the modern Egyptian shimmy is like a small hip twist shimmy. I think it's important to clarify that a hip twist shimmy is driven in a completely different way.

The "modern Egyptian" shimmy is also a shimmy generated by bending and straightening of the legs. However, because it is done in a very lifted and straightened posture and the weight falls more towards the front of the feet as opposed to the heels or the middle, the effect will not show as an up-and-down motion as would happen with a shimmy driven the exact same way but done with a slight bend in the knees, pelvis more tucked, and weight distributed more evenly throughout the feet.

Instead, the effect will be visible on the belly as a tiny back-and-forth, but that back-and-forth is not the same as what would happen if you were just doing a very fast hip twist shimmy.
    Oh also, to achieve the fullest effect of the modern Egyptian shimmy it helps to think of the accent as being the straightening of the leg as opposed to the bending or having the straightening and the bending be equal.

Long story short, you can actually generate different types of shimmies using the same technique. When you change your weight placement and posture and change the accent, the shimmy changes. You can also change the shimmy by changing the speed and/or changing the muscle resistance (relaxing all your muscles that aren't working will create bigger, more relaxed shimmies, vs. clenching all the muscles which will create small, tight, freeze-like shimmies).

Post Thanks / Like

in case anyone was wondering, when I said "knee-driven" I meant bending and straightening the legs.

yame - I deeply appreciate your input. thats really helpful. I will have to experiment in front of my bathroom mirror

another thing I didn't even think about is in ranya Renees baladi set, she says loose calves help make a better shimmy. I have VERY tight calves so that might be part of it too. will have to start taking magnesium for my calves cuz no amount of stretching will loosen them up.

thanx so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Yame this is a really helpful post. I tried different weight placement and posture and could really see the differences you were talking about!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ahava_Melantha View Post
    I have VERY tight calves so that might be part of it too. will have to start taking magnesium for my calves cuz no amount of stretching will loosen them up.
    But have you been doing the stretch correctly? ie after a warmup, stretching the leg that is not weight bearing and with correct foot alignment?

That said, I suspect the comment is about relaxing your calves rather than having good range of motion.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah its about relaxing them. I have since realized the problem with my shimmies is tightness of my calves and the consistency of going back and forth. so my new goal is going to be - a 10 min shimmy drill every day with a calf stretch afterwards.

god willing that will help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12