Accurate references?

DancingArabian

I'm looking to expand my historical and cultural knowledge about bellydance, specifically the origins of and initial ... Use?

Anyway, does anyone know of good books or sites that provide accurate information? I'm also very interested in sites that compare the misinformation along with the accurate stuff with explanations.

shiradotnet

These articles on my web site may help:

Imagining Movement. This article helps you make sense of paintings from the Orientalist era, such as those by Jean-Leon Gerome: Imagining Movement: Orientalist Paintings and Photographs of Middle Eastern Dancers

Fact or Fantasy - Which Dance History Claims Should You Believe? Fact Or Fantasy? Misguided Beliefs About Belly Dancing

The Oldest Dance? Really??? Talks about claims regarding belly dance history and how to sort out which are credible: The Oldest Dance? Really???

Also, I have a huge number of book reviews on my web site, including reviews of some that claim to describe belly dance history: Reviews of Books Related to the History of Belly Dancing

Jane

I generally look for things published by universities, museums, and professional cultural academics. One of the first things I do when I evaluate a source is look at the bibliography for primary sources and people who don't constantly cite their own works. Things that sounds like personal opinion or flakey and I instantly put on my super secret BS decoder glasses. :cool:

General Belly Dance/Culture Sources:

AlZayer, Penni. World of Dance: Middle Eastern Dance. U.S.A.: Chelsea House Publishers, 2004.
And, Metin. A Pictorial History of Turkish Dancing. Ankara, Turkey: Dost Yayinlari, 1976.
Carlton, Donna. Looking For Little Egypt. Bloomington: IDD Books, 1994.
Djoumahna, Kajira. “Ignorance is Bliss.” Crescent Moon Magazine March-April 1996.
Early, Evelyn A. Baladi Women of Cairo: Playing with an Egg and a Stone. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 1993.
Edison, Thomas. Silent Movie Clips: Princess Ali. 1895: Ella Lola. 1898: Princess Raja. 1904. Video.
El Safy, Shareen. Ed. Habibi Vol 18 No 3 March, 2001: Vol 19 No 1 January 2002: Vol 19 No 3 July 2003.
Flood, Betsey. “A Dancer for All Seasons.” Habibi Spring 2004: 18+.
Karayanni, Stavros Stavrou. Dancing Fear and Desire: Race, Sexuality, and Imperial Politics in Middle Eastern Dance. Waterloo, Ontario: Library and Archives Canada Cataloguing in Publication, 2004.
Luscher/Aischa, Barbara. “The Golden Age of Egyptian Oriental Dance.” The Belly Dance Book. Ed. Tazz Richards. Concord: Backbeat Press, 2000. 18-23.
Mabro, Judy. Ed. Veiled Half-Truths: Western Travellers’ Perceptions of Middle Eastern Women. London, UK: I.B. Tauris & Co. Ltd., 1996.
Magrini, Tullia. Ed. Music and Gender : Perspectives from the Mediterranean. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2003.
Marcus, Scott L. Music in Egypt: Experiencing Music, Espressing Culture. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
Mernissi, Fatema. Scheherazade Goes West: Different Cultures, Different Harems. New York: Washington Square Press, 2001.
Racy, A.J. Making Music in the Arab World: The Culture and Artistry of Tarab. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
Reda, Mahmoud. Mahmoud Reda, dance classes, Mahmoud Reda, Mahmoud Reda - safticraft.com
Said, Edward W. Orientalism. New York: Random House, 1994.
Scarce, Jennifer. Women’s Costume of the Near and Middle East. New York: RoutledgeCurzon, 2003.
Senkovich, Natasha. Dir. The Bellydancers of Cairo. NS Enterprses, 2006. DVD.
Shafik, Viola. Arab Cinema: History and Cultural Identity. New York, The American University in Cairo Press, 1998.
Shay, Anthony and Sellers-Young, Barbara. Ed. Belly Dance: Orientalism, Transnationalism, and Harem Fantasy. Costa Mesa, CA: Mazda Publishers, 2005.
Shay, Anthony. Choreographic Politics: State Folk Dance Companies, Representation and Power. Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press, 2002.
Thornton, Lynne. Women as Portrayed in Orientalist Painting. France: Mame Imprimeurs, 1994.
Van Nieuwkerk, Karin. “A Trade Like Any Other” Female Singers and Dancers in Egypt. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1995.
Wahiduddin Khan, Maulana. Women Between Islam and Western Society. New Delhi, India: Goodword Books Pvt. Ltd., 2005.
Warraq, Ibn. Defending the West: A Critique of Edward Said’s Orientalism. New York: Prometheus Books, 2007.

Works to use with caution:

Anything written by an American or Brit for the belly dancer craze in the 1970’s. There was too much feminist movement, fantasy and marketing in most of these publications. In particular Jamila Salimpour and Serena Wilson.
Anything by Wendy Buonaventura. She has an agenda and does not cite her sources for claims. UK dancer Caroline Afifi says this:
“belly dancing as a 'class taught concept' only came to the uk around the late 70's with an American teacher called Gail Smedley. Gail was in fact the teacher of Wendy Buonaventura and it went from there. By the late 80's, Egyptian dance was emerging as the dominant style but was still a bit messy in terms of how the dance and associated folk styles were being described. Suraya Hilal (who was set up by Wendy B) used the term Sha'abi in the traditional sense of meaning 'folk'. Suraya was of Yemeni background and had trained in contemporary (in which her style is heavily influnces) however, this did not stop people believing that her thing was indeed the 'real thing'. “ --Caroline Afifi
Harding’s work is simply outdated and she fills in a lot of the blanks with fantasy and idealism. World’s oldest dance claim is inaccurate and un-proveable.
Harding, Karol Henderson. “The World’s Oldest Dance: The Origins of Belly Dancing.” Compleat Anachronist #70 Nov 1993. Ed. Anthony J. Bryant. Origins of Oriental Dance: Pt 1 - What is Belly Dance?
Al-Rawi writes a beautiful first hand personal experience account of belly dancing with her grandmother which is anecdotal. Nice ideas but not a scholarly work. Rosina-Fawzia B. Al-Rawi. Grandmother’s Secrets: The Ancient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dancing.
Sachs makes some crazy claims. Outdated, orientalist, and pure conjecture.
Sachs, Curt. World History of the Dance.
Strova’s book is nice personal imagery for self expression. Not cultural or historical.
Strova, Maria. The Secret Language of Belly Dancing.

Jane

Music and Documentary DVDs:
Don't overlook CD liner notes, especially the ones produced in association with historical music groups (i.e. Bezmara) and museums (i.e. Smithsonian Folkways). Not all of this stuff I listed is Belly Dance music specific. Some is Turkish, art music, Arabic classical, etc.

Arabic Musical Scales: Basic Maqam Teachings
Amazon.com: Arabic Musical Scales: Basic Maqam Teachings (without CD's) (9780974588247): Cameron Powers: Books

HISTORY OF ARABIC MUSIC THEORY: CHANGE AND CONTINUITY IN THE TONE SYSTEMS, GENRES, AND SCALES
Amazon.com: HISTORY OF ARABIC MUSIC THEORY: CHANGE AND CONTINUITY IN THE TONE SYSTEMS, GENRES, AND SCALES: Shireen Maalouf: Books

The theory of music in Arabic writings (c. 900-1900): Descriptive catalogue of manuscripts in libraries of Europe and the U.S.A (Repertoire international des sources musicales.
Amazon.com: The theory of music in Arabic writings (c. 900-1900): Descriptive catalogue of manuscripts in libraries of Europe and the U.S.A (Repertoire international des sources musicales. B) (9783873280311): Amnon Shiloah: Books

The Music of the Arabs Book/CD
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Arabs-Bo...erback-Amadeus
/dp/1574670816/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267173608&sr=1-1

Making Music in the Arab World: The Culture and Artistry of Tarab
Amazon.com: Making Music in the Arab World: The Culture and Artistry of Tarab (Cambridge Middle East Studies) (9780521316859): A. J. Racy: Books

The Music and Musical Instruments of the Arabs: With Introduction on How to Appreciate Arab Music [1915 ]
Amazon.com: The Music and Musical Instruments of the Arabs: With Introduction on How to Appreciate Arab Music [1915 ] (9781112427275): Francisco Salvador-Daniel: Books

Music in Egypt: Experiencing Music, Expressing Culture Includes CD
Amazon.com: Music in Egypt: Experiencing Music, Expressing Culture Includes CD (Global Music) (9780195146455): Scott L. Marcus: Books

"The Voice of Egypt": Umm Kulthum, Arabic Song, and Egyptian Society in the Twentieth Century (Chicago Studies in Ethnomusicology)
Amazon.com: "The Voice of Egypt": Umm Kulthum, Arabic Song, and Egyptian Society in the Twentieth Century (Chicago Studies in Ethnomusicology) (9780226136127): Virginia Danielson: Books
Umm Kulthum: A Voice Like Egypt (2007) DVD, Director: Michal Goldman
Habibi, You Are My WHAT?! Leyla Lanty's Essential Arabic for Dancers - Volume 1, DVD Starring: Leyla Lanty
Islamic music: Music, Islam, Central Asia, Arabic music, Music of Turkey, Gamelan, Kulintang, Music of West Africa, Music of Africa, Maqam, Dastgah, Religious music in Iran, Sufi music
Amazon.com: Islamic music: Music, Islam, Central Asia, Arabic music, Music of Turkey, Gamelan, Kulintang, Music of West Africa, Music of Africa, Maqam, Dastgah, Religious music in Iran, Sufi music (9786130231668): Frederic P. Miller, Agnes F. Vandome

Andalusian Classical Music: Arabic music, Music of Andalusia, Al-Andalus, Gharnati music, Ma'luf, Chaabi (music), Music of Morocco, Music of Algeria, ... Cheqara, Malhun, Gnawa, Andalusi nubah (Paperback)
Amazon.com: Andalusian Classical Music: Arabic music, Music of Andalusia, Al-Andalus, Gharnati music, Ma'luf, Chaabi (music), Music of Morocco, Music of Algeria, ... Cheqara, Malhun, Gnawa, Andalusi nubah (9786130255367): Frederic P. Miller, Agne

Middle Eastern music: Raï, Arabic pop music, Arabic hip hop, Arabesque music, Assyrian/Syriac folk music, Andalusian classical music, Berber music, Kurdish ... traditional music, Iranian folk music (Paperback)

Makam: Modal Practice In Turkish Art Music
Amazon.com: Makam: Modal Practice In Turkish Art Music (9780976045519): Karl L. Signell PhD: Books

History of music: A text book on music of the different nations from early Egyptians to the present day : for use in conservatores and colleges of music by Matilda P White-Rudger
Amazon.com: Middle Eastern music: Raï, Arabic pop music, Arabic hip hop, Arabesque music, Assyrian/Syriac folk music, Andalusian classical music, Berber music, Kurdish ... traditional music, Iranian folk music (9786130277543): Frederic P. Miller, Agn
CD series "The Music of Islam" The Music of Islam, 17 CD Boxed Set has very nice liner notes. The Lalezar Ensemble TRADITIONAL CROSSROADS and the Al-Kindi Ensemble Al Kindi -- Arabic Music -- Musique Arabe also produce some informational ones.

Other Music/Dance Websites:
Turath Theory of Arab Music by Ali Jihad Racy Maqam
Arab music: genres
Arabic Maqam World
Maqamat
Islam Music & Dance
The Oud
Turkish Music Portal*
http://www.saramusik.org/article.php3?id_article=154
Instructor Profile - Ana Chora
The EDA Handbook for Middle Eastern Dance by DaVid of Scandinavia (Paperback) - Lulu
The Best of Habibi
Shareen El Safy's official website | Home Page | The Spirit of Egyptian Dance, Belly Dance
Welcome to Morocco's Meanderings Morocco has written a new book. Mine is in the mail!
Oriental Dance - Folkloric Dance By Mohamed El Hosseny
Amazon.com: Arabic Maqams Made Simple: Music
Arabic Music Instruction, Arabic Music Scales, Learn Arabic Music, Sheet Music

George Dimitri Sawa Biography

Amazon.com: A History of Arabian Music (9788187570639): Henry George Farmer: Books

shiradotnet

Shafik, Viola. Arab Cinema: History and Cultural Identity. New York, The American University in Cairo Press, 1998.

This one doesn't say much about dance at all. A better book by Viola Shafik is Popular Egyptian Cinema: Gender, Class and Nation. It has a lot more information about Oriental dance than her earlier Arab Cinema book.

Van Nieuwkerk, Karin. “A Trade Like Any Other” Female Singers and Dancers in Egypt. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1995.

This article by Van Nieuwkerk is also worth reading: "An hour for God and an hour for the heart" Intro

AyaKara

Where Do I Start?

Firstly, I just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. In the three months that I've been here, you've all been very kind & welcoming to me as a new member of the BD community. So, thank you all, & my best wishes to you & your loved ones in the New Year! :D

So, I'm on winter break, & as a result, I want to use my free time to learn more about BD! History, music, culture, its big figures, festivals & events, costuming -- anything about BD there is!

Shira's website comes to mind first; are there any other online resources that you guys can share here? Any suggestion is appreciated :)

Thank you, & Happy Holidays! :pray:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Seasons Greetings to you. I have moved your post to this existing thread as you'll find lots of references in this thread to history etc.

Enjoy your journey:D
~Mosaic

Farasha Hanem

Aya, I was trying earlier today to remember the thread that had been posted recently that has the info you are looking for. :( Hopefully someone might remember and post a link if I can't find it.

AyaKara

Thank you, Mosaic! I'll be studying all of these websites over the next few weeks :D

Aya, I was trying earlier today to remember the thread that had been posted recently that has the info you are looking for. :( Hopefully someone might remember and post a link if I can't find it.

What are the odds that someone posted this thread only a week before I did :shok: thanks for always looking out for me, Farasha! :pray:

Farasha Hanem

*hugshugshugs!* :D

There was another thread recently that mentioned Shira's site, and a few other sites and sources before this one came up, I just can't remember where it is at the moment. :confused: However, the ones listed here are excellent, too. Hang on, let me do some looking around...

EDIT: Well, pooooooooo! :confused: I'm sorry, Aya, I still can't find it! I did think that it might have been this thread, but after reading through to make sure, it wasn't the one I had in mind. The thread I'm thinking of was started by a baby bellydancer, and concerned finding good sources for beginners. Shira was one of the responders. Can anyone else remember that thread?

Last edited: