Baladi on BBC Radio 4

Safran

Aniseteph, thank you for posting the direct link. I found it interesting to listen. And I also found it interesting that Guy chose to set the programme up concentrating on the essence and feeling of baladi, taking into account that the programme was directed at the general public.

khanjar

Also interesting the difference between cabaret and Baladi and I now understand the call to stay flat footed in Class.

khanjar

You should be able to record it through your computer, look online for how to do it and youtube videos have a lot of good hints and tricks.

Kashmir

I'm really torn on this one. Nice program - but some bits belong in the Wishtory thread (the ghost of Suraya Hilal is still being felt). Problem is, once you know some of it's crap it is difficult to judge how much to believe other bits. For instance, is the sax, accordian and trumpet only post WWII? I thought it was much older - I suppose I could have a look at some of the old film clips. But if not this may have an answer to wy they are used in Egyptian music - only the Irish soldiers would not have had quarter tone sax.

Aniseteph

I'm really torn on this one. Nice program - but some bits belong in the Wishtory thread (the ghost of Suraya Hilal is still being felt). Problem is, once you know some of it's crap it is difficult to judge how much to believe other bits. For instance, is the sax, accordian and trumpet only post WWII? I thought it was much older - I suppose I could have a look at some of the old film clips. But if not this may have an answer to wy they are used in Egyptian music - only the Irish soldiers would not have had quarter tone sax.

I was surprised about the accordion link with Irish too. I guess sax and trumpet were on the scene there from their use in dance bands from the 20's onwards, even if they weren't incorporated into native music till later. But accordion has to be a different route.

I found this. The link with the tango craze sounds very plausible. I'm sure I've heard some pre-WW2 Egyptian takes on the tango with accordion.

Yup. 1941:

1935 I think:

The other thing that bugged me was this in the programme info:
What seems to us a provocative, alluring, even licentious dance for women in fact has roots in a ceremonial dance for men.
:confused: It's always about the men isn't it ? :protest:
That must have been the references to tahtib. I see the connection between tahtib and folk stick dances, and how using a cane in baladi would reference that, but roots?

On the plus side, I was dancing round the kitchen. :dance:

Aniseteph

me said:
On the plus side, I was dancing round the kitchen. :dance:

On the minus side, just watched some Hilal baladi dance clips. Loving the music (as ever), seriously spooked out by the dancing.

Kashmir

That must have been the references to tahtib. I see the connection between tahtib and folk stick dances, and how using a cane in baladi would reference that, but roots?
That bit is definitely incorrect. There are plenty of other traditional Egyptian dances that are not tahtib - and many danced by women. Not only that the essence and purpose of the dance are a bad match for modern urban beledi (which is what the program is about). To reduce all of beledi to offshoots of tahtib is almost as bad as saying it has a direct route back to the dances in the tomb paintings.