Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My answer is the same as in normal live, from Friesland(a rural province from the netherlands, my moms side is from there and I was born and raised there) That is where I am from, if someone asks what my decent is I am willing to tell (though sometimes I say Israel instead of Palestine, just not to get in a big discussion)

Post Thanks / Like

I think if I decide to perform professionally I will either use a stage name or my full first name because well what I go by now doesn't sound like a person you'd go to see dance. If anyone asked about my decent I would tell them honestly but most of the time that doesn't happen they just assume I'm white or sometimes Hispanic depending on the season and let that be.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a pasty, green-eyed ginger, so I can't imagine that anyone would assume me to be from the ME or Mediterranean. While Sidra is a fairly generic name (I'm told that it has a Latin root, meaning shimmering or starlike, and therefore common meaning in several languages from the region), I also have the option of saying that I chose it because it's Spanish for cider...and I really like cider!

As student performers, the main reason we were encouraged to adopt a dance name was less mystique and more personal safety/anonymity when performing at public events, festivals, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to proudly acknowledge that I'm a good Scottish girl. They almost always blink their eyes and ask me, "no, really, what is your ancestry?" (as if I couldn't possibly be Scottish with that brown hair and olive complexion). It makes me laugh to blow the "mystique" right out of the water. :P

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I found this thread! One of my dance teachers requires her advanced students to take dance names for their security/privacy. Also, I think out of the respect for the ME and Mediterranean cultures, to avoid exploitation, etc.

I grappled with the idea of taking a stage name for a little bit and had finally settled on my own: even though I don't like my name, I just thought nothing else would fit. I'm naturally blonde (currently a ginger though), blue-eyed and very fair-skinned. So I thought taking a stage name would earn me no mystique whatsoever. In fact, I thought I might be laughed at for having such an unsuitable name, or I'd just look like a fake.

But now since a stage name is a requirement, I'm starting my name search again. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Tell your teacher that you are following in the footsteps of some great bellydancers and using your own name.

Some examples I can cite for you:

Jillina
    Ava Fleming
    Keti Sharif
    Paola Blanton
    Beata
    Trisnasari
    Suhaila Salimpour

This is just off the top of my head and without using middle eastern dancers as examples.

If using your own name is what you want to do, you should do that. As you can see from the examples above, there's no rule that says you have to use your last name as well, so if she requires anonymity you can not use your last name as a means of providing yourself with some distance between stage & self. But frankly, if someone wants to find you, they will find a way, stage name or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa-Julia View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread! One of my dance teachers requires her advanced students to take dance names for their security/privacy. Also, I think out of the respect for the ME and Mediterranean cultures, to avoid exploitation, etc.

I grappled with the idea of taking a stage name for a little bit and had finally settled on my own: even though I don't like my name, I just thought nothing else would fit. I'm naturally blonde (currently a ginger though), blue-eyed and very fair-skinned. So I thought taking a stage name would earn me no mystique whatsoever. In fact, I thought I might be laughed at for having such an unsuitable name, or I'd just look like a fake.

But now since a stage name is a requirement, I'm starting my name search again. Any suggestions?
    I agree with Darshiva, if you want to use your own name do so, but you can always take the Rissa from Marissa - Rissa is "different" & pretty but is still part of who you are (I like your name Marissa -Julia, it is a lovely name) You could also run with Rissa-Lia both are part of who you are
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Marulia. Marisulia. Julimari. LiRissa. All sorts of combo possibilities with those names!

Post Thanks / Like

Since it's a troupe I wouldn't want to cause trouble and be the only person to refuse a stage name But I thought the compromise could be that I only use the name whilst dancing with this group and use my own name when I eventually solo. And all of your suggestions are great ones Everyone calls me Riss or Rissa, so maybe I could incorporate that somehow.

As for my teacher, she's lovely and only wants the best for her students. But unfortunately you are correct...you can be found, stage name or not

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to disagree with Darshiva. I personally know two dancers who were stalked by the same guy and they weren't the only ones. He has a thing for belly dancers and the stories I've heard of some of the stuff he's pulled... having a stage name did make a difference for some of the dancers nor is he the only wacko out there.

If you go professional by all means make the decision for yourself then whether to use your own name but in the meantime it sounds to me like your teacher is only concerned for your safety and has given you some good solid advice (and set a policy). Personally I would listen to her. I also like Shanazel's solution. The advantage of a made up name like that is not only is it quite personal to you you never have to worry about someone else having the same name. No one said your stage name had to be middle-eastern after all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast