Stage Name Mystique

Darshiva

Ariadne, I agree with you in principle, however it is unfortunate that having a stage name, private/unlisted number, etc will not stop someone determined to find you from finding you. The only way to completely prevent yourself from being found is to be someone else and even that isn't foolproof.

I know a lovely lady who uses a stage name, is completely unlisted, has done all the right things a performer should do to keep their personal life separate from their professional life and still manages to be stalked in her own home. That's why I said what I did. I'd hate to see someone who doesn't want a stage name get one with the intention of protecting themselves only to find it won't stop someone who is truly determined to find them.

It's an unfortunate reality of this world that there are unpleasant people out there and maybe it's better to just live life the way that makes us happiest instead of trying to constantly be on our guard.

Annnnnnnnd back to the topic at hand... Marissa-Julia, if you don't feel strongly one way or another about getting a stage name, why not ask your teacher to help you choose one?

Ariadne

Ariadne, I agree with you in principle, however it is unfortunate that having a stage name, private/unlisted number, etc will not stop someone determined to find you from finding you.
Absolutely true. It will however protect you from the casual and less determined harassers.

Farasha Hanem

Even though a stage name might deter some from finding you, in some instances it can make things worse. I get marriage proposals frequently from what I call "belly dance collectors," and I was found on Facebook anyway by my troublemaking sister-in-law, the very person I was trying to avoid. I'd taken all the privacy precautions on FB, and she STILL found me. -_- I'd blocked her profile, but she used her husband's page to "tell me off" for being a bellydancer. >:/ I ended up having to block my brother-in-law, too. -_-

Shanazel

What a b... baleful individual. Perhaps if she got a life of her own she'd be less interested in making yours miserable?

Greek Bonfire

"I'm a FAKE Greek." is what I tell people. I love Greece and all things Greek, but I'm a Euro-mutt. Anything/everything EXCEPT Greek. I kinda adopted the whole thing, if that makes any sense...

It helps that I can speak enough Greek to be dangerous.

Yeah, me too. It is hilarious when I go to a Greek restaurant, and the workers automatically start talking to me in Greek, and then I answer them in Greek. Then the fun begins when they get more involved in conversation, and I get that look that says, what? And Greeks don't always like that!

Greek Bonfire

Even though a stage name might deter some from finding you, in some instances it can make things worse. I get marriage proposals frequently from what I call "belly dance collectors," and I was found on Facebook anyway by my troublemaking sister-in-law, the very person I was trying to avoid. I'd taken all the privacy precautions on FB, and she STILL found me. -_- I'd blocked her profile, but she used her husband's page to "tell me off" for being a bellydancer. >:/ I ended up having to block my brother-in-law, too. -_-

What an ignoramus! Just keep shimmying your stuff - it's not your fault that she's not as educated and cultured as you are!