Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

LMAO!

WordNet - Cite This Source fanny

noun
    1. the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?" [syn: buttocks]
    2. external female sex organs; "in England 'fanny' is vulgar slang for female genitals"

I always wondered about tipping cause it's a bit of a touchy subject. I have never seen a dancer in a restuarant over here so I personally as an audience member wouldn't have a clue what to do...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post

Tut tut, you said a naughty word. It'll be the Trans atlantic distance thing.

Lol-good idea btw
    here in the US (at least in California!) it is just a fashion "don't" !

Post Thanks / Like

When I 1st started dancing pro. , I was dubious about "body tipping"... but when you realize you are giving up a tank of gas, or a weeks worth of groceries..... hmmmmm.... not so bad.... I have found that in restaurants it works well..
    ESPECIALLY if you have a "plant" in the audience, in one restaurant, the owner, or a waitress will always start the tipping... (without being told... nice!!!) the other night, the 1st tipper happened to be a shy little girl, who just handed me the $$$.... and I tucked it in my belt myself (better than stuffing down my bra, Mae West style ), & the rest of THAT evening, most of the patrons just HANDED me cash...
    so, maybe you can have your plant start out like this, if you are wary....
    I also NEVER NEVER NEVER accept tips in my bra... not even the straps.... don't even want them to THINK they can go near!
    also, lots of times people will come tip us after the dancing, as they are leaving the restaurant (we eat there).
    IN CLUBS.. where usually more drinking, & less eating is going on... just to avoid potential problems... I find the basket works well... usually just set on the edge of the stage. I DO NOT like to pass it... to me too, it feels like begging!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Did I? What does the transatlantic group call the little packs that strap around the waist? (I am not even going to ask what fanny pack means in Europe.)
    That'd be a bum bag. Our bums are your asses or butts.

Our asses are donkeys, but we know what you mean as it's close enough to arse, which is the same as bum but a bit ruder.
    Our butts are big barrels you collect rainwater for the garden in.
    Our gardens are your backyards I think.
    I believe your bums are our tramps (down and out types), while your tramps are ladies of easy virtue, who would be slags or a multitude of other unpleasant names over here.

Post Thanks / Like

The US and England, divided by a common language. Here fanny is the kind of word your grandmother uses. I think it might even be milder than saying "bum". Fanny is also an old-fashioned nickname for Frances.
    Last edited by Babylonia; 02-08-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    That'd be a bum bag. Our bums are your asses or butts.

Our asses are donkeys, but we know what you mean as it's close enough to arse, which is the same as bum but a bit ruder.
    Our butts are big barrels you collect rainwater for the garden in.
    Our gardens are your backyards I think.
    I believe your bums are our tramps (down and out types), while your tramps are ladies of easy virtue, who would be slags or a multitude of other unpleasant names over here.
    whoa, that's a bit confusing!
    I'd like to know where the division came from on the fanny...
    I also might use derriere, backside....sometimes use bum but not too often.
    And I believe your lifts are our elevators and your rubbish is our garbage...or that could just be Australian...I've been around more of them. Oops what was the topic of this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Collecting tips. And tips are also bits of information on any subject, so in a way, we are still on topic with collecting our linguistic tips.

Post Thanks / Like

This is quite an interesting discussion, as here in Canada $5.00 is the smallest denomination of paper money - and would be considered a VERY generous tip.
    One dollars and Two dollars are coins (called Loonies and Toonies) and collecting coins in a costume presents ...um...technical problems!

AT

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn' t like anyone putting a paw near certain parts of my anatomy so I am considering getting some pretty mesh fingerless elbow-length gloves. Then I can extend a snaky arm and allow folks to tuck a bill into the netting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default This Topic came Up here before

I remember reading this topic here before. Again I'll say what I said the last time. I read in my local newspaper on an article on belly dancing that the tip goes on the dancers head if it's being done in the middle east. If it is put anywhere other than the head it's considered disrepectful in the Middle East.
    According to the article where I live in Northern California, Stanislaus County
    the dancer takes the tips in her pants or skirt. There was even a picture of a female belly dancer with dollar bills stuck in her skirt. However I think where I live most people still believe in the Harem Fantasy and that it's like stripping. Also they think only men dance if a female dancer puts a sword on a male audience member's head or if a male relative does a duet with the female dancer,but from the picture I saw this ladie's nephew-in-law looked more like he was doing something completely different. It wasn't sexy,but his costume didn't have the look you'd see of a male dancer on this site or youtube. He was dressed like a foreigner doing a folkdance,but it wasn't street clothes and it was like a Sultan or Aladdin style costume either. It was like a greek folkdance costume or a russian folkdance costume. Don't remember exactly since my mom probably recycled that paper. Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast