Beading vs. Embroidery

Tiziri

Aww, shucks, you guys, thanks :). Sooner or later, I'll hurry and finish the belt and post photos of the whole thing (I'm uncertain of something about the layout of the back section of the belt, so haven't done it yet). The embroidery on the bra was more challenging, as the sections of flowers are small -- it was done with one strand of floss.

I would definitely add that if you do it on the fabric and then put it on, make sure you account for the curves on the layout -- IOW test the preliminary design by drawing it on something flexible (thin paper or scrap fabric), and try it out (pin it on, make adjustments) before committing to the embroidered design.

Munniko

Oh wow Tiziri! That is gorgeous work, I'm definitely going to try and work on testing the designs and seeing what I can do with the suggestions I've gotten and will look up that piece you talked about featuring birds.

Tiziri

"Conference of the Birds" is a mystical story, and illustrations of it can be found online. Like this:
Jerry Saltz on the Met's new galleries of Near Eastern art - artnet Magazine
You might like some of the birds in things like this:
Dish depicting two birds among flowering plants [Turkey, Iznik] (59.69.1) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

(Ottoman)

Avoiding of course copying anything overtly religious in form (even C of the B might be a little tricky...but individual bird forms like those would be good motifs, perhaps. Mostly stay away from the Islamic calligraphy bird forms!)

Last edited:

Munniko

Thanks for the advice I'm definitely going to have to find some time and look at the books recommended and maybe go to a museum or two to check out more motifs.